Help, am I poisioning myself

I doubt that there's a greater risk than going on car journey.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

*GASP!!!!!*

You can't say things like that! We're all dooooooooomed, I tell you.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Well, perhaps I'm immortal.

That'll teach you all :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:4173e922$0$2651$ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

If he can do that he's a better man than me

mike

Reply to
mike ring

OK, I could have said it better, viz:

Hey! Don't attempt to freeze it while it's still warm!

Mary :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in news:v7Kcd.16$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

Bruddy herr, I never thought of that.

Do you cook at at all, or get it all cooked?

I buy fairly large portions of stirfry or mince, specially when there's a bogof, and store them in the smaller transparent supermarket bags; I just nick a handful occasionally - I think you could also use tthem for layering, they're nice and flat before use.

Also how about baking parchment?

Anything's better than paying Lakeland prices

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Quite possibly. I've had a couple of car accidents, only had salmonella from mis-cooked chicken once. I'd prefer to avoid both.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Heating is an energy cost. Stick it in the fridge for a couple of days, and you actually recover the heat used to freeze it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

er - yes, that's why I said leave it on the counter instead of putting it in the oven.

?
Reply to
Mary Fisher

House heating.

A kilo of water will absorb about a third or two thirds (I can't remember which, one is boiling and one is freezing) of a KWh when melting. Stick it in the fridge, and the fridge works a bit less hard for a couple of days. Stick it on the counter, (assuming you're heating this time of year) and it'll cost you a substantial fraction of a pence to defrost it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oh.

You don't need the house heating on to thaw frozen stuff. Ours hasn't come on yet.

Hmm. A bit being?

Well, if we were heating yes, it could cost, ooh, must be easily the best part of something very small... on the other hand, the humanity hereabouts gives out more than enough heat to thaw frozen stuff. And keep the thermostat from coming into play :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh-oh. I get anxious when I see someone owning up to being IMMortal..... ;)

You'll be telling us how to install a combi boiler with a recirculating air vent next ;)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Ian Stirling wrote in news:41740f98$0$48024$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

That's brilliant!

I only suggested defrosting in the fridge as a safe way to do it; the thought that I can save a groat makes me skinflint tendency rejoice

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote | Even less aggressively, leave the frozen whatever on a plate | on the kitchen counter. It will thaw. No energy cost.

Considerable energy cost in driving to the chinese takeaway on christmas day because the cat got up at 4 am and helped itself to the turkey, as neighbours once found out.

(You and I would probably have just hidden the gnawed bits with an extra chipolata.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > Freeze it as fast as you can after purchase - don't | > let it sit around warm which is when the bacteria | > multiply. | Hey! Don't freeze it while it's still warm!

What about a blast chiller/freezer or, failing that, a good squirt with a CO2 fire-extinguisher[1]

Owain

[1] AKA 'the fire-extinguisher formerly coloured black'
Reply to
Owain

In message , N. Thornton writes

Once cold, otherwise you could defrost other things in the freezer

However, as someone who eats almost anything and everything, I might not be the best person to reply to the original question

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

In message , Brian Sharrock writes

They can fight back sometimes, can't they

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

In message , Andrew McKay writes

Maybe so, but on topic

The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

One year my parents decided to outwit the cat (always risky) and its annual Tom-and-Jerry attempts to scoff the entire Christmas turkey. They hung the cooked bird up on a string in the garage.

Later on (having noticed the missing cat) they went out to check the turkey. To find the cat, inside a locked garage, spread eagled on the side of the carcase several feet above the ground and hanging from its paws with its head already a substantial way inside the bird.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yeh? Well you'd be wrong, unless you drive like a complete wally that is. You're safer in the car than you are at home.

Reply to
Steve Firth