Heating oil tank (green plastic, 2000 litres) sprang a leak yesterday

Allow it to settle and separate?

Kerosene's boiling point is 150-300degC, so heat it gently, and any remaining water will evaporate. Then pour it back in the tank. A fraction of two litres into a thousand litres... Your boiler won't even notice it.

Reply to
Adrian

/ICBA'd to dig through the half dozen or so bits of legislation/regulations that might app/Q

Snip

Right. Not really an insightful analysis of the position then? just a juicy soundbite that looked too good not to trumpet...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

/Kerosene's boiling point is 150-300degC, so heat it gently, and any remaining water will evaporate./Q

Along with the kerosene....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

*The resale value will drop* ! Prospective car buyers will milk the scandal for all it's worth.

MM

Reply to
MM

Touchee.

But from what should be a relaible, offical, source, not some random blog or company web site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pour it back into the tank. I'd put money on there being water in the tank already.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stop faffinga about just bung it in the tank, there will almost certainly be water in the bottom of it already and the filter(s) in the feed will take care of any bit that by some fluke might get taken up by the feed before they settle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Only if the media and people like you whip it up into a frenzy that makes it a problem for owners and prospective owners, we're hardly going to replace over half of the vehicles on the road with petrol overnight, are we?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Follow-up question: Are they also available as slimline? Because we had the dickens of a job moving the emergency tank to the back garden. The heating engineer and his young apprentice are strapping lads, but it took quite an effort. We had to lift the tank high enough to clear the diving fence to the next property, then we slid it along the top of the fence, which held up very well. I say "we", but really all I could do is be a gofer for tools and trestles and support the tank's balance as best I could. I had a 3x bypass two years ago, so I'm not about to do any heavy lifting.

I'm thinking of knocking together a support beam on H/D wheels that will slide down the path. About 6' long beam, height about 6' level with the top of the fence, with a base that stops the contraption from tipping over. Then the spare tank could be slid along the fence AND the beam. Got to be a lot easier - and safer. One misjudgement of the balance and the tank crashes into the neighbour's back garden. We've been lucky so far.

How would you have moved it? Any ideas? After all, eventually the spare tank will have been emptied back into the new main tank and will have to be lifted back along the fence again.

MM

Reply to
MM

Given you will soon have a shiny new tank (with presumably at least 10 year guarantee) and now know about soap, dammit and duct tape, and that your engineer can arrange an emergency tank at a few hours notice, why would you bother keeping an emergency tank on site?

Reply to
Andy Burns
[57 lines snipped]

It isn't as simple as that. They could have been made to meet the regs with the fitment of an AdBlue system, but VW didn't do that on their cheaper models, presumably because of "value engineering".

Huge

The thought had crossed my mind.

OTOH, this may bankrupt VW.

Reply to
Huge

Because it's possible that without the fitment of an AdBlue system, which these cars lack, they cannot be made to meet the regs.

Reply to
Huge

There is no "cheat" mode. The cars are deliberately and knowingly put into test mode for the emissions testing. They have to be, otherwise the stability & traction control systems get confused because the front wheels are doing (say) 50mph while the rear wheels are stationary.

"All" VW did was add an emissions tweak to the existing test mode.

Reply to
Huge

I know they use rolling road for the type-approval tests yes the ECU/ABS controllers could detect that and go into "cheat" mode.

Limits for type approval, note the Euro6 has only just come into effect.

But the MOT test doesn't use a rolling road, just a certain amount of warming-up, and revs and sampling the exhaust gasses, insufficient clue for the cheat mode

Anyway, it seems the MOT doesn't set any limit for NOx, Though I think I've seen numbers for NOx on the exhaust analysis printout

Too big a document for me to be bothered with reading the lot.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Looking again at the stock price graphs, nope. Still quite high, historically.

MASSIVELY unlikely.

Potential $18bn fine? $18bn off the market capitalisation?

Turnover $200+bn, profit $11bn, assets $350bn, market capitalisation $125bn before this...

Reply to
Adrian

There's a rough clue in the "1,000 litres" and "palletised". They're a cubic metre, more or less.

Reply to
Adrian

$18bn isn't even the beginning - that's just the likely fine. Then there's the fines in all the other jurisdictions, the class action suit(s), in America and everywhere else they've done this, the complete destruction of their market in the USA (even for vehicles to which it didn't apply) and likely in many other places, compensation for people who bought the vehicles, the cost of the unsaleable vehicles and likely many other things which I've forgotten.

And the American lawyers won't hesitate to destroy VAG. After all, there are precious few American jobs dependent on it.

Reply to
Huge

There's a rough clue in the "1,000 litres" and "palletised". They're a cubic metre, more or less. /Q

The 700 litre IBCs are a bit skinnier in one dimension.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Is this ridiculous, confusing, non-standard quoting style yours? If so, please consider stopping doing it.

Reply to
Huge