Hardstanding for motorbike?

Hi,

My front garden has a concrete path with normal soil type stuff (shingled over) either side. I want to add a small (8 feet x 3 feet-ish) hardstanding to park my motorbike on (and to incorporate a security bracket), adjacent to the path and then re-shingle the whole area. How deep would I have to concrete to support the weight of the bike? Up until now I have got away with parking the bike on the shingle, with a wooden block under the sidestand to prevent it sinking, but I want something more permanent.

Any advice much appreciated.

Reply to
mentalguy2004

The message from "mentalguy2004" contains these words:

A couple of inches would be plenty, though three might be easier to lay.

If you want a good solid anchor then dig a pit into which you can set a hardened chain, Aldi have some at the moment. Sink it a foot down and tamp the concrete well round it.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Guy King writes

Passing almost anything long, metal and meaty through the chain & laying it before you put down the slab will save the need for the pit. Even with a block or a pit I'd still put something, even fence wire, through the buried chain to tie into the concrete.

To the o/p, are you sure you want a slab? You'll need about 750kg of 'stuff' to lay a 3" slab. Precast 2' slabs would do the job but then you would need a pit & concrete for the anchor.

Lidl also had bike chain & padlock recently, padlock a bit flakey, galvanised chain looked ok.

Reply to
fred

sage advice. rebar worked very well for the ones I've seen built and as it's a front garden, a minimix truck and a couple of wheel barrows will be sufficient to lay a 3" or even a 4" slab with relatively little aggro.

Reply to
.

Yes, security - the more the better - is vital

Mary who speaks from sad experience of just using a very stout chain round a wheel.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from fred contains these words:

That was exactly the chain I had in mind!

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Guy King writes

Oh, think it was Aldi . . .

Reply to
fred

The message from fred contains these words:

Yes, you're right. Amidst a huge pile of unsold motorbiking stuff.

Reply to
Guy King

Dont waste time concreting. Get a tin of crushed limestone, lay it down about 4" think and simply use it till its crushed flat and getting weedy, and THEN spray the weds off and put a couple of inches of shingle over it.

Shingle will slide off concrete.

You might get away with concreteing and spreading shingle onto the wet surface though.

A bike is nothing..4" of crete will be adequate if the soil is reasonably stable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher