Grout film

Just finished the tiling in the bathroom, now to remove the traces of grout film.

What do the panel think, grout film remover or buffing pad on a drill?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Howard Neil

In message , at 16:07:34 on Sun, 30 Dec 2012, The Medway Handyman remarked:

A non-stick-pan scourer works for me.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , Roland Perry writes

Ditto

Reply to
Bill

Klaatu barada nikto

Oh f*ck, how do I cancel that? IRTA something else.

Reply to
Graham.

When I grout, I run a rounding tool over the joints, usually a clean silicone nozzle, leave it for ten mins and go over with a damp sponge - not a cloth - this will drag the damp grout out of the joints. Ten mins later, another wipe over with a damp sponge. They may dry with a fine dry powder on the face, is this what you mean by grout film? - if so, it needs a dry sponge going over to polish

Reply to
Phil L

+1
Reply to
Mr Pounder

Best thing I've found is a wetted plastic mesh scourer, the type used for cleaning pans. It comes off easily once wet. No reason to use a power tool.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

any mild acid.

Or if its dusty, buff off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Exactly so.

Not a job to leave for the next day!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is always one. I think remover, and time to get the rest of family set up with the system of removal as well.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A couple of wet cloth/sponge wipe overs, followed by a rub over with a paper towel once dry usually does it for me.

Reply to
John Rumm

As this is a bathroom is this grout a waterproof cement based grout? If so leaving any of it to dry is a big no no. It won't soften when it gets wet later to wipe off...

Need to keep it damp right through to the polishing stage.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Neither should be necessary IME.

Did you wet sponge the grout when it was partly set? That helps a lot as it really does just leave a film of powder and the odd blb that can be picked off with a fingernail. That film can be hand buffed with a dry piece of cloth (old shirts are good).

Or did you use some funky epoxy grout - I've heard those can be difficult.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Better description that wot I said a couple of posts back- except I did not think of using a tool - just sponging - but these were 2mm joints so the sponge naturally laps the joints quite well.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Where's Frank?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't think of a decent film about grout. What about 'Shampoo'?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Howard pipped me to the post...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've found the waterproof stuff weakens greatly when wet, so a simple wipe with a plastic scourer is then enough to pull it off

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sorry.