Greying ceiling above boiler

The ceiling and wall/ceiling corner above our boiler is slightly grey having got that way over some years from previously 'is the ceiling a bit grey there' to now 'it definitely is, yes'.

There's no CO2, there are 2 detectors in there.

I suppose the sensible answer is get someone in? Or is this normal to some degree?

Reply to
R D S

There is always at least some waste heat from a boiler. Which will draw air (and dirt) to above it. Same as you get above a rad, given enough time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Sound like dirt deposited from convection currents to me. Time for some paint.

Reply to
newshound

wash it down with sugar soap.

Reply to
charles

Its warm, and so will convect a current of air up against the ceiling. Dust in the air will do the rest.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes back in the days of valve tvs, above the TV had a lot of dust and stuff. My guess in that case was static attracted it, then heat forced it up to the wall and ceiling.If you have ever opened up an old crt TV after some years, you will find it deep in muck.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

rather like the power supply and cpu fan+cooler in my desktop too !.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect that the convection of dry, warm air you might expect round an operating boiler would itself tend to cause a build-up of static. And that would cause exactly the same issues as TVs, ionisers, etc.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google