Gravestone smoothing

Are there obstacles in the way? TC grinding discs would never be any use if they didnt 'get close enough.' They're offset for this reason.

NT

Reply to
NT

There is a very poignant memorial stone tucked away in the yard of the Catholic church in Cambridge which has inscribed thereon;..

"For those whose lives knew no birth"

Reply to
tony sayer

Our's is not a country one, but it definitely was in the past! I can't think that there was much around here when it was first built. One wall definitely dates from the 15th century. The original church is known to have been given as a dowry in 1150 and according to the website "Nine centuries of village life are recorded on tombstone and memorial plaque." Most of the housing here dates from Victorian times onwards.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I just assumed that the discs would be bolted on in some way, and that there would be some kind of guard around the disc to prevent sparks flying back at you, so that the disk couldn't be flush with the surface of the stone.

But from what you say, that's wrong.

Reply to
Windmill

Years ago (when I had a bit more money!) I saw a graveyard on Andros Island in the Bahamas. Where there was definitely very little money.

Similarly poignant, because the only markers were wooden crosses crudely fashioned from tree branches.

"Some rude memorial yet erected nigh / Implores the passing tribute of a sigh."

Reply to
Windmill

The church where my parents are buried isn't quite that old. About 1390 IIRC, with changes made at the time of the Reformation, and since. But there are indications that there was an even older church on the same site.

Reply to
Windmill