Gov web site doesn't like W's !!!

Amen to that. I used to use a bank whose website was compatible with lynx. No pictures were displayed, of course, and frames if you wanted them had to be followed as if they were a link (I don't think I ever had to), but SSL works with lynx so you could access https: links to see encrypted information, and it was lightning fast. No idea if that's still true; the banking aspect became as bad as with all the other banks. But I loved the lack of any 'visitor experience', which is not why you access a bank.

Reply to
Windmill

Don't worry! :-) - It was successfully done using CSS, it works in recent browsers, only a small percentage of users now don't see them, and they simply get square corners!

We find it amusing that site owner, who was so desperate for them, is the only individual we know does not see them.

Reply to
polygonum

That's what we call a no-brainer.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

True. Making crap cars already does this.

Reply to
Mark

Does that dynamically scale? A common rendering problem is fixed sized background colour blocks that don't follow the space required by the text. Remember text size can be set by the user. I set a minimum font size so I don't need a microscope on some sites...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

what gives you the idea they make 'crap cars'? My C5 Estate is now 11 years old and has done 17,000 miles. never a breakdown.

Reply to
charles

that depends on the browser.

if you set minimum font size to some ridiculous figure, almost no browser will render as the original author intended.

OTOH if you use zoom, firefox at least scales everything up including set sized divs.

In the end, if you are going to cater for every users setting, you are going to code a vanilla site. And it wont look very sexy.

One of the reasons PDFS are so popular if you really want to 'desktop publish' over the web. You can even embed the right fonts.

Also the reason many use flash. Or fixed images.

HTML was never designed as a screen layout tool.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm very glad your car has been reliable (although 17,000 miles isn't much for an 11 year old car). However, overall, Citreons get poor reviews.

Reply to
Mark

It's not just pay - it's the whole culture. Civil service and IT just don't make natural bedfellows.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

typo here: it should be 117,000 miles

Reply to
charles

17,000 is remarkably low. Low enough in fact to make me suspect a mistype.

I put over 100,000 miles on my last-but-one car with no problems at all. This of course proves nothing. The fact that they (Primera) became a common choice for minicabs might.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'm currently approaching 1 light-second on my Mondeo.

Reply to
Andrew May

Baby :-)

Reply to
Clive George

when I was working, I reckoned on 20,000 miles per year in my own car.

Reply to
charles

+1
Reply to
newshound

How long did they last? Did you get many to 200K?

I only do 7K/year, but buy older cars - one BX retired at 220K, the other at 170K but 18yo, and the Xantia is currently at 170K. One diesel lift pump failure in the Xantia, one clutch cable on the first BX are the ones which have stopped it dead, and I'd have probably driven the BX home if it was me in the car. Two alternators on the second BX (though the second one was from the first, so not entirely surprising) meant a certain amount of faff with charging, but no journeys failed.

Other friends ZXs have gone similar distances - again, both bought old. So I think Citroens are great - but I'd not necessarily buy a new one. Instead, get somebody else to filter out the ones with iffy electrics - if it's made it to a certain age and is still going it's probably going to last a while.

And I still don't know what I'd replace the Xantia with. The C5s are even more electronic and don't have the full hydraulics (brakes, suspension, steering all in the same circuit).

Reply to
Clive George

I have contacts with a guy in the USA who was upset when his engine blew. At 471,000. That's the trouble with these highly stressed sports car engines.

He still has the car, and it's topped the half million. I don't think I've driven that many miles, never mind done them in one car.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thought it might... B-)

IIRC my minimum font size is 15 pt, not something silly like 72 pt...

I'd rather not faff about zooming, the site should be designed with sensible font sizes...

Personally I don't want sexy sites I want clean informational ones that work without plugins or javascript.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My much maligned Mustang engined Ford was sold with 370,000 miles on the clock. The engine was flawless.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I see a lot of Skoda Octavia minicabs here, the TDI and the slow diesel indeed (SDI)

Reply to
gremlin_95