Got a Sunseeker (solar power installation) leaflet through the door just now

In article , js.b1 scribeth thus

This it seems to me is a simple requirement so why are they so poor?.

And if there're poor due to design shortcomings what about the panels?..

Isn't it about time that the government capped the prices charged by effectively a Monopoly industry?..

Reply to
tony sayer

So its it going to last long enough to see your ROI then?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Inverter technology is very mature and reliable. Manufacturers are typically on their 3rd/4th generation products as more compact power semiconductors come available. I have 6 power inverters using virtually the same technology to drive multi kilowatt 3 phase motors from single phase supplies in my workshops. All but one have been bought secondhand and have been running for me for several years without a single problem.

Current prices for PV inverters for domestic sized installations are between £1000 and £1800 so even if one failed out of warranty and could not be repaired, a replacement will be typically less than it will earned in the previous year so it is not the end of the world.

If you have experience of high failure rates I would be interested to see it as it is contrary to my experience.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I wish. It looks like it's dropping in value by about5% a year ATM.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But its still the original sum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Saturday we went to a hardware store in Canterbury, then visited folks in a village, then someone in another village, then to a shop in a third village.

Explain how I could do that in the allotted time slot (two hours) by bus.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No I personally haven't but others have been commenting adversely on them...

Reply to
tony sayer

Apologies Tony,

I see now that it was indeed others who doubted inverter technology.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

That's the trouble, it isn't. If I spent my ten quid now I'd get a half decent bottle of wine. Wait 10 years at 5% inflation, and the cost of that bottle of wine will be 16 quid or so. So when I get my savings out it's still ten quid - but it hasn't the same value.

It's no more the same sum as if I bought some shares in Lloyds Bank last year I'd still have the shares. The fact that the value by any normal measure is half what I paid is ... unfortunate.

And yes, as I have a Footsie linked pension I do own some shares in Lloyds. :(

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ