Gluing trim back onto a sofa - what glue to use?

Hello folks.

I need some advice to repair a sofa, please. It is a large sofa and has a fabric covered trim panel on the front of each arm. These panels were held in place by furniture staples facing forward from the sofa into the vertical centre line of each panel.

Because the staples were only on the vertical centre line of each panel it was, unfortunately, only too easy for little fingers to pry behind the loose edges of each panel and pull them off. The panels have been damaged and I doubt I can tack or nail them back into place. I also need to try to secure the whole of each panel to the sofa so that those little fingers will no longer have a loose edge with which to play

Anyone suggest a suitable glue for gluing the panels (fabric covered) onto the front of each arm (again, fabric covered). My first thought was to use Copydex but this may not be as strong as the aforementioned prying fingers. My second thought was to use "No More Nails" but the applications list on the tube lists mostly non-absorbent items (wood, ceramic etc) and it may not be successful with fabric.

Of course, the final thought would be to either scrap the sofa or scrap the panels and make replacement ones from something rigid such as wood.

Help, please.

Thanks, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

EvostikTimebond

Peter Parry

Looks good and looks affordable.

Thank you. Ian.

Reply to
Ian

I'd go with Copydex, it's pretty strong stuff used for joining carpets. It also stays very flexible. The impact adhesives are flexible but not as soft as Copydex.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

make sure its the one that reeks of ammonia..the water based one is crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher