Glass cutters?

Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned glass cutter :-(

TIA Andrew

Reply to
Andrew J Instone-Cowie

Thee_Psycho

Like these ones ?

that link doesn't work, then: (watch out for line wrap)

?ts=96874&id=10706

Reply to
BigWallop

Or even this one:

BigWallop

Or these ones:

BigWallop

Or these type with the diamond tip:

BigWallop

Bought one myself today. Walked down the road to the village hardware shop. They had a choice of two models - standard, and deluxe - the only visible difference being a hardwood handle on the deluxe model. Also bought some graphite powder for lubricating locks.

Now I just have to learn how to use it - I only hope that the comments I've found when googling that "old" glass won't cut are incorrect.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

It's best to score old glass two or three times to let it snap properly. If you look along the glass from different angles, you should see ripples through parts of the glass. This is a clear indicator of it being on or pre war times (WW2) glass, which is slightly more difficult to cut because it is more brittle than the newer stuff. It had something to do with the annealing processes.

Reply to
BigWallop

I've plenty of old glass that might get used for a cold frame at some point. Not looking forward to cutting it because of the rumours of problems with old glass.

I believe these stem from micro scratches on the surface that deflect the crack propagation as you stress the scrore line from the cutter. So with that in mind be brave and don't dilly dally with the cutter, a good firm, single stroke across the glass and dip/keep the cutter in light oil (parafin or similar) just before you use it. Well it's a good theory...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

could stroll into tomorrow than an online supplier ;-) I'll order a couple from them and see what happens...

Thanks! Andrew

Reply to
Andrew J Instone-Cowie