Geyser overflow valve broken?

Here's an unfortunate problem! I've been wondering why water consumption has been so high. I noticed that the geyser overflow pipe was draining directly into the gutter, pretty well continuously - it must have been doing this for some time.

When I turn off the supply to the geyser it stops. I thought it might be some sort of siphon effect, so I tried leaving the hot tap on to clear the pipe, but, when I turn the geyser tap on, out comes the water again.

It looks as if the emergency overflow valve is stuck in the 'open' position. How does this happen? How do these things work? Is there a way of closing it or do I have to get a new one?

If I have to get a new one, how difficult are they to fit? It's an awkward space, I can see that, but, if it was just a matter of a spanner in the right place it might not be too bad.

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Peter Brooks

I think it would help if you defined "geyser". I presume you mean some sort of "hot water on demand" device but the make and model would be a big help.

[...]

Don't crosspost to wierd groups.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It is a hot water heater. That sort of geyser. It is fed by the mains on a closed-loop basis - that is, it doesn't have a lid open to the air.

Reply to
Peter Brooks

Probably an unvented hot water cylinder then. In view of your apparent total lack of familiarity and the dangers attendant on getting things wrong you need competent attention.

Reply to
cynic

Geysers don't have overflow pipes. Need a better description.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, you can describe it as an unvented hot water cylinder. It doesn't look too difficult to replace the valve, which, from the shape of the brass, looks as if it operates through a diaphram. It would be nice to know if that is a common set-up or not.

Reply to
Peter Brooks

OK, it's the hot water tank's pressure release valve. It is a closed system, as I said.

Actually, I've found a nice little kit from a plumber's supply shop that replaces the valve assembly and has a new diaphram and o-rings.

I've cleaned out the filter that was amazingly full of crud. I'm just having a little difficulty taking off the cap. It seems remarkably firmly fixed. Any tips?

Reply to
Peter Brooks

Seriously, repairing pressure relief valves on any sort of unvented system (combi, Megaflow or similar) is not for the inexperienced. Regular posters know that I support diy. They also know that if you are at the experience level of naming an unvented cylinder as a "geyser" (and I still think you might mean a combi boiler) you should leave well alone for now.

I am astounded that a 'service' kit is available for any sort of pressure relief device, especially on an unvented cylinder. The usual way is direct replacement.

Reply to
Ed Sirett