generator

Hi,

I am looking to get a small portable (and cheap) generator for an outbuilding. The genny should be able to power some lighting and run some simple powertools (drill charger, drill, chop saw (1200w))- running my 900watt lawnmower would also be a bonus (not all at the same time!).

I was looking at this-

is being sold on Ebay for circa £200 - Is it any good for the uses that I intend?

TIA

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

You should be able to get it for £117 (ish) since I've had them offered to me at £99+VAT. I have a similar 2.6kVA generator and it's OK but bloody noisy. I'm currently buying a 5kVA "silent" diesel generator which will cost about £600. The regulations on the SIP and similar generators isn't good and you'lll find each time that you start and stop an appliance at around 1/2 the rated power of the generator that it will stutter and sometimes stall.

Personally I'd have a look at something like this:

expensive, true but better regulated and much quieter.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Also have a lok at this one, which has a voltage regulator: Although I'd still go for the silenced version and pay the extra:

Steve Firth

It won't last, won't work terribly well, and will be very noisy. If there are neighbours, you'll get complaints.

Trouble is portability, reliability and relatively quiet operation aren't compatible - a light engine means a fast revving petrol one. The best generators will be a slow running diesel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi,

Over here in the USA there are available Honda generators. These have a pretty good reputation. Expensive though. The nice thing about them are they are inverter based. So to get the 60 Hz (in the UK it is 50Hz) the motor can run at a faster, and slower speed depending on power draw, and the electronics (read power thyristors) take care of the rest.

had my eye on one of these, but in the end ended up with something alot bigger and non portable.

Best, Mike.

Reply to
sacstinkytiger

Thanks for all of the posts - I think that I will need to have a rethink!

Cheers

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager