gas pipe

is it okay to block off an unused gas pipe with a compression fitting blanking plug wrapped around the thread with sealing tape?

Ther is a stopvalve (in off position) further down the pipe as well.

Reply to
tiscali

It is a manadatory requirement that all gas pipes ends are capped/plugged/stopped even if there is a valve doing that job upstream.

The correct use of compression fittings made to BS 864 does not involve the use of PTFE tape at all.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

No, as that clearly demonstrates a lack of competence in using plumbing fittings correctly for gas, which would thus be illegal.

That alone is not acceptable for isolating an unused gas point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

why? the compression fitting is properly fitted, only the thread is augmented with sealing tape - none of it has encroached onto the olive to compromise the compression fitting seal face.

yes but it's not alone

The fitting arrangement is fine, I just wanted to know if compression fittings were legal for gas.

Reply to
tiscali

It serves no useful purpose, and you can't prove it didn't get into any of the sealing surfaces. It also shouts out "bodge" to anyone who sees it.

Yes if they are in a position where they remain reasonably accessible.

However, it's illegal to do gas work if you are not competent, and that would include knowing how to use compression fittings correctly. Read Ed's Gas fitting FAQ (see the other response to your posting), and consider carefully if you are competent to undertake the work legally, which is not obviously the case at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and you can't prove it didn't

That's a yes, then

Reply to
Aidan

1) They are legal provided the joint remains acceptable. 2) The full information is in BS 6891 linked below. 3) The way you intend to use a compression joint is wrong.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

The links are useful thanks. The thing I did wrong was to fit ptfe around the thread, everything else is okay, its an accessible pipe that used to connect to the gas oven I just replaced with electric. At some time early next year I will be removing the pipe altogether. I am a qualified mechanical design engineer, and time-served fitter (not gas though). I only used the ptfe as I was unsure if compression fittings alone were adequate, and I knew that if I got the tape on the sealing faces it would compromise the seal so I made sure it was only near the head of the fitting.

Reply to
tiscali

Thanks for your comments

Reply to