Gas boiler, Vaillant or Worcester? Recommendations please.

I am on the verge of placing an order for a 15kW open vent condensing gas boiler, with vertical flue, and have narrowed the choice to the following:

Valliant ecoTEC plus 415 or Worcester Greenstar 15RI

Apparently the Valliant is a newer design but the Worcester (Bosch) has better construction with superior service and warranty.

Any comments based on recent experience are welcomed and will be read with interest.

Reply to
Malcolm H

In message , Malcolm H writes

Most fitters prefer to it the ecotec, worcester quality seems to be dropping a bit

HOWEVER,

there are cheaper boilers on the market with a 5 year warranty. Without the warranty, they're not worth a second look, but, given that a modern boiler has an expected lifetime of 5-7 years, it might be an approach worth thinking about

Reply to
geoff

I bought the Vaillant, based upon my own and others' experiences of using them in the past. However, it can be difficult to find a boiler service company that is familiar with them, which may be where the adverse reports have their origin.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

C'mon geoff that's for the crap you make your living selling parts for! And even Ideals can last 5 years*. I'd expect the better made current generation to be pootling along with the sort of lifetimes we're currently seeing for W-B 'i's and CDis, Profiles and Solos.

Damn' well hope so for iJuniors or I'm going to have some unhappy customers (or ex-customers) down the line ...

  • that's in heating: in politics substitute 'minutes' for 'years' ;-)
Reply to
YAPH

Some interesting comments from YAPH in a related question I once asked:

thread:

touch-wood an' aw tha', I still have the Potterton. :-)

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Quite a lot of people I've talked to seem to be thinking along the lines of getting a long warranty rather than a good make.

Not something I would have advised last year, but I'm beginning to change my mind

Reply to
geoff

Vaillant would be my choice but you have to get an installer that knows the Vaillant 400 series VERY well, they can be quite tricky to set up, you can always go for the 615 model which is better.

Reply to
VAG_dude

I don't know the current Valliant range particularly well, but I have installed a WB combi recently and was impressed with the design and fitting arrangements. By contrast I've also fitted a glow-worm a few months ago considered it to be crap by comparison to the WB.

Reply to
AlanD

WB ZB 11-40 R 40E installed Dec 2004. Annual check £50 Replacements: 1 Thermocouple assembly & Exchanger Gasket Dec 2010. No other problems so far.

Reply to
Rob

It's different, isn't it, the 615 is a system (with the pump included), the 415 is just a heating only (Open Vent per Vaillant terminology) boiler.

Good to know the warning about them being tricky to install, though...

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis