Garage sink-without-drains options?

Would be grateful for some ideas...

I'd like to put some form of sink in the garage, primarily to allow the washing of hands without traipsing back into the house. It may also be used for general washing/cleaning of bits and bobs whilst working in there.

However the garage, whilst attached to the house, is not within easy reach/access to the drains (foul water at least) and so I'm looking for any good ideas on what I could implement that would be an improvement on a bucket of water. Running water is the key to success I think for washing and so I'm thinking perhaps two containers - one high, one low - and simply running water from the top one via a tap into a sink which then drains into the bottom one. When the bottom one is full I then lug it out, empty it into the drains, and refill the top one. It's something of a faff, yes, but I wouldn't be using it all that often and so worth the hassle - particularly if I've got little other option.

Any suggestions as to alternatives or particular ways of implementing the above? There's a water butt nearby - perhaps I could use the water from that...

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Probably not in accordance with building regs but had you thought about building a soakaway - large hole filled with clinker/bric/concrete rubble. If it is just for occasional hand washing it would not need to be too large, as long as you don't leave a tap running all day, and small quantities of domestic soap or washing up liquid (which is what I use for work dirty hands) shouldn't harm the ecology of your garden.

Reply to
Old Codger

For all but the worst oil/grease, Ecover w/u liquid will remove everything, has a pH of about 5.5 and is easily biodegradable so a soakaway should be OK with that.

Reply to
PeterC

How about cannibalising a water system out of a scrap caravan? The components are:

  • Fresh water container (Aquaroll, or whatever)
  • Small hot water tank with (mains) immersion heater (and probably also with calor gas heater - which you can ignore)
  • Pump - usually 12v, so you'll need a mains power supply - to pump water from the fresh water container - either directly or via the hot water tank - to the taps [Pump preferably operated by a pressure switch so that it only runs when you open a tap]
  • Sink with hot and cold (or mixer) tap(s) - discharging into
  • Waste water container (on wheels so that you can wheel it away for emptying)

Such a system serves us perfectly well when using our caravan - so I don't see why it wouldn't work in your garage. Any caravan scrap yards near you?

Reply to
Roger Mills

various options, including

- local soakaway - use ecover washing up liquid

- half inch hose drainpipe, with pump if needed

- solar evaporator to get rid of the waste water

- straw bale drainage

- sand filter then onto the ground etc

NT

Reply to
Tabby

You want a low-budget solution?

If not - there are specific types of saniflo units (or other brand units) designed to serve washbasins and the like (and not toilets). These range from the cheap and cheesy, to professional units designed to serve banks of washing machines or dishwashers.

Reply to
dom

If you'd seen all the tiny little "beasties" that swim around in my waterbutt you wouldn't even wash the dog with it!

Reply to
DavidM

In message , DavidM writes

I think that is the crux of the 'fresh water' for washing problem. Storing water for any length of time will render it anything but fresh. My choice for water would be a modern plastic jerry can, with tap, as used for camping. Light enough to make filling less of a chore, and small enough to avoid too much stagnant water. Somewhere between 10 and

20 litres would be fine, and around a tenner to buy.

Regarding drainage, a small soakaway would probably work for the modest amount of water, but a similar jerry can would be easier.

Reply to
News

I suppose it must depend on how long it sits around for - ours is used for watering the garden and washing the car hence it is fairly regularly cycled and always remains pretty clean.

I like the idea of the caravan-esque approach. I'll have a look round to see what I can find.

Thanks for all thoughts everyone - much appreciated.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton