garage consumer unit query sort of

Hi all

I am converting an outside brick built store and covered area into a utility room

My plan is to run a 6mm twin and earth from a spare 30amp breaker to the room along with a 10mm earth cable

What I would like in there is a garage type consumer unit with rcd and

6+16+32 breakers

The 16 being for a future feed for garden shed using 2.5 swa

I can find reasonably cheap garage consumer units at all the usual places but cannot see one with 3 breakers along with the rcd main switch

I am considering spurring the shed off of the 32amp circuit with a 13 amp switched fuse spur which would remove the need for a 3rd breaker

What do the team recommend

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Is this attached to the house, or some distance from it? (if remote, then T&E might not be the best choice)

Presumably you have a PME supply and are extending the equipotential zone to the outbuilding?

Not sure if you will find a ready populated CU with all the bits you want already in it, but three way CUs are available:

if you expect to need three ways, then I would always install at least one more to allow for future options. Plenty of brands do 4 way boxes.

(buy your own RCD for the above)

Don't cut down you options by fitting the "exact size" now - allow for some expansion.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John

Yep just extending the existing bonding to the utility room.

Distance from incoming mains supply to room is 10 metres

I was coming t the same conclusion regarding the consumer unit but am trying to keep the overall costs down as there is a lot of work to do on the house and the garage units are only about 20ukp

I will cost an an unpopulated box and bits for a 4 way

Thanks for the help

Regards

Reply to
TMC

If you started with something like:

would only need add £6 worth of MCBs after...

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John

Had come to a similar conclusion

As the utility room is essentially part of the house in that it is connected by a 6" thick concrete canopy and the area below is being enclosed to make a lobby area I am thinking of using a main switch consumer unit with mcbs and using an rcbo for the shed circuit as I would not want damp in the shed to knock out the freezer in the utility room

The contactum range looks better priced than most other brands

Regards

Reply to
TMC

I've dealt with three CU's for sheds with inexpensive buys off Ebay. One is a bit bigger than needed but who really care - it was cheap! Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It's going to cost more if you want a split load CU that allows you to use RCBOs on the non RCD side.

I believe that I have a Wylex 100A 30mA main switch knocking about in the back of my van if you want it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for the offer however I have gone with the contactum unit

Love the videos by the way

Who needs TV with neighbours like yours

Regards

Tony

Reply to
TMC

No worries. I was a bit too late with my offer (I had to go to work etc)

They are good fun.

Reply to
ARWadsworth