garage consumer unit query sort of

Hi all
I am converting an outside brick built store and covered area into a utility room
My plan is to run a 6mm twin and earth from a spare 30amp breaker to the room along with a 10mm earth cable
What I would like in there is a garage type consumer unit with rcd and 6+16+32 breakers
The 16 being for a future feed for garden shed using 2.5 swa
I can find reasonably cheap garage consumer units at all the usual places but cannot see one with 3 breakers along with the rcd main switch
I am considering spurring the shed off of the 32amp circuit with a 13 amp switched fuse spur which would remove the need for a 3rd breaker
What do the team recommend
Regards
On 17/08/2011 00:33, TMC wrote:

Is this attached to the house, or some distance from it? (if remote, then T&E might not be the best choice)

Presumably you have a PME supply and are extending the equipotential zone to the outbuilding?

Not sure if you will find a ready populated CU with all the bits you want already in it, but three way CUs are available:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGVC203.html
However, if you expect to need three ways, then I would always install at least one more to allow for future options. Plenty of brands do 4 way boxes.
(buy your own RCD for the above)

Don't cut down you options by fitting the "exact size" now - allow for some expansion.
--
Cheers,

John.

Hi John
Yep just extending the existing bonding to the utility room.
Distance from incoming mains supply to room is 10 metres
I was coming t the same conclusion regarding the consumer unit but am trying to keep the overall costs down as there is a lot of work to do on the house and the garage units are only about 20ukp
I will cost an an unpopulated box and bits for a 4 way
Thanks for the help
Regards
On 17/08/2011 09:13, TMC wrote:

If you started with something like:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CPR048M.html
you would only need add 6 worth of MCBs after...
--
Cheers,

John.

Hi John
Had come to a similar conclusion
As the utility room is essentially part of the house in that it is connected by a 6" thick concrete canopy and the area below is being enclosed to make a lobby area I am thinking of using a main switch consumer unit with mcbs and using an rcbo for the shed circuit as I would not want damp in the shed to knock out the freezer in the utility room
The contactum range looks better priced than most other brands
Regards

I've dealt with three CU's for sheds with inexpensive buys off Ebay. One is a bit bigger than needed but who really care - it was cheap! Rob

It's going to cost more if you want a split load CU that allows you to use RCBOs on the non RCD side.

I believe that I have a Wylex 100A 30mA main switch knocking about in the back of my van if you want it.
--
Adam

Thanks for the offer however I have gone with the contactum unit
Love the videos by the way
Who needs TV with neighbours like yours
Regards
Tony

No worries. I was a bit too late with my offer (I had to go to work etc)

They are good fun.
--
Adam