Fuel cells in power tools

Just received the new Toolstation catalogue this morning, and notice that they are plugging a new nail gun powered by fuel cells: http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?codeG033
I hadn't realised that fuel cells had reached the powertool market yet - are they widespread? Are these things going to take over from standard rechargeable batteries?
I don't really know how this technology works, but why does the above tool come with a "1.5hr charger" and "two batteries" ?
David
Lobster wrote:

Isn't that just a gas canister rather than a genuine fuel cell?
Styx

They are genine fuel cells run from gas. The smallest is tiny and can run laptops and mobile phones and the likes, but not yet fully on the market. <http://www.i4u.com/article3796.html

More on them: <http://news1.iwon.com/tech/article/id/58731%7Ctechnology%7C09-02-2003::17:06%7Creuters.html
<http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200507/kt2005071519462911800.htm
The Guinness Book of Records: The world's smallest fuel cell, made by Toshiba. The direct methanol fuel cell is just 2.2cm by 5.6cm and is 0.45cm thick.
I read there was smaller one about the size of a thumb nail.
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:30:16 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Nah, that was a reference to your brain.
message

Sad isn't it. Full of wit eh.
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:04:26 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Bullshit, and once again you prove your ability to read catalogues and press releases and completely misunderstand them.

That's "not yet fully on the market" as in "not on the market".
The fuel cell you provide a link to does not run on gas, it runs on methanol. If you look it says so clearly in the news item. Methanol for those who are hard of thinking is not a gas it is a liquid at room temperature and a further clue in the text is the reference to a 99% solution.
It's also worth noting that the run time for powering a mobile phone is given as 8 hours, which doesn't compare well to a LiIon cell int he same application, nor does the size of the cell which is larger than the phone it powers. So Drivel must be working to some new concept of "tiny".
Al of which is irrelevant to the nail gun in question which does not use an electrical fuel cell, but instead uses a "fuel cell" in the same way that cordless heated curling tongs use a "fuel cell". i.e. the manufacturer creates a container of butane gas which has a proprietary design so that the user must obtain more "cells" from the same source at inflated prices.
FWIW, an 11cfm compressor and a air nailer of the same spec will cost less than that nail gun.
message

<snip a pot shitkickerness>
Sad isn't it. Very sad.
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:29:03 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

Stupidity, yours, sad, very. Fuckwit are you.
message

Shitkicker, what babble. I'm he's top poster too.

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the meaning of this?
It does serve a warning about the dangers of substance abuse, though - the apostrophe is one of the first things to suffer.
--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

I reckon someone's gone into Yodamode.
--
Skipweasel
flatulenece wrote in message wrote:

It is a shame isn't it. They allow him on the computer thinking it will expand his mind. If only they knew.....
<snip senile babble>

(Pots and kettles)
It is a shame isn't it. They allow him on the computer thinking it will expand his mind. If only they knew.....
<snip senile babbage>
John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor

Yes, this halfwit could Richard Cranium himself. Getting warm aren't we.
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:00:30 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"

He' s probably been sniffing the 'fuel' from his 'fuel cell'...oh no, he doesn't know what a fuel cell is!

Another know-it-all enters. Have you sorted out that pathetic web site yet? He can't write you know.
Are you Mr White? Or is he Wade?

Don't be silly. It's just adspeak. Unless you think something this radical would really appear first - DIY wise - on a nailer...
--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

All this world cup excitement has gone to his head. Sad isn't it.

What is sad is yet again you've read into an ad something that simply isn't so. That's why ad writers are so ambiguous - there are always gullible types like you around...
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *