foundations next to party wall

Take a look at the link I provided before. You might also take a look at this link

this one.

You may well require a structural engineers as well as a PWS. Look on it as a form of insurance because if it does go wrong the costs are likely to be far more than the fees you paid.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The purpose of the party wall surveyor is to check the current condition of the party wall *before* any work is done so any damage that you may do can be noted and rectified later at your expense, but it also prevents your neighbour claiming that you have caused damage when you haven't.

Also if any work that you have to do on the party wall has benefits for your neighbour then the surveyor may say that your neighbour has to cough up some money towards it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

Well, yes some of this may be a good idea so you can prove what damage you did or did not cause. But there is a distinction between what is legally required and what is a good idea. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Such a survey makes sense, to protect any undue claims from next door. I might well have one for that reason. But it still is the case - a party wall surveyor is only legally required to resolve a dispute, and I will not fail to sell my house in the future if I do not have one. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In absolute terms not having a PWS may, and I stress may, not prevent you selling in future. Having said that any potential buyer's solicitor or surveyor are probably going to want to see some independent evidence that the work has been done properly. The sort of problem that is arising ever more frequently is that this ends up delaying a sale at a critical time. It really depends on how lucky you feel!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That's because a new horde of pen-pushers know they can make money out of it, not that "unapproved" work has necessarily been done badly. Hyenas and vultures.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The PWA is purely to get the work done and ensure that the least amount of disturbance occurs to the adjacent owner, and gives rights of access for the building owner to actually get on with the work.

It has no relevence once the work is done, and so is not an issue at sale time.

A building control certificate is enough to prove adequacy of the work for sale purposes.

dg

Reply to
dg