Focus DIY seeking administration

In message , Man at B&Q writes

Other way round I believe. The FOCUS chain was hived off separately when Travis Perkins bought Wickes. I suspect that all the debt from the original FOCUS/WICKES was moved onto the books of FOCUS. Combine that with high rents and you have another Woolworths - it works just about OK but only as long as Joe public isn't put off spending by VAT hikes and the threat of redundancy and/or 'normal' interest rates (inflation +

1%).

Reply to
Andrew

Ah - google streetview managed to catch it...

Andrew Gabriel

Different target audience from folks like "us" though...

They will have some big ticket "lifestyle" items at reasonable prices (patio sets etc) to get the folks through the door. Things like nails and screws they probably count on selling to the customer who is a bit unsure whether they really need a packet of 10 or if that might not be a bit wasteful, rather than a tradesman or serious DIYer who would normally buy the things by the box.

Reply to
John Rumm

Texas branches became Homebase in most cases IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

Anyone remember Great Clowes Street Warehouse?

In my student days I once lived nearby. Folk were often circling the area trying to find them, usually on a Saturday when they were closed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Heh, probably last a couple of years - I see that a lot of "stuff" on Google Earth seems to be obliterated by the passing of time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Certainly do, and their down market competitor -Great Ducie Street Warehouse. If you thought GCSW stunk - GDSW really stunk.

When central heating was a recent novelty in working class houses GCSW sold dirt cheap leaky boilers and radiators with rust patches you could see across the street.

FWIR GCSW was on an ox-bow island in the middle of the River Irwell only accessible by going over an occult bridge.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

Since the sign is supported on a number of Bailey bridge sections I guess the sign must have gome when someone wanted to use them...

Reply to
docholliday

,

It's also not the main Vanguard site, which you can see if you pan the Streetview linked to. Last time I drove past, about six months ago, I'm sure it looked as it does on Streetview, though I was too busy to notice the sign. It's even still featured on the Vanguard website as their West London location for self storage. I could, of course, be wrong, as I've been to an awful lot of places since then.

Before the current London skyline, it used to change every few months, and gave me something to point out to the passengers. I'd assumed the changes were a way to show off their crane hire business.

Reply to
John Williamson

Sadly yes.

But that was in the days when B&Q at Trafford was good value and Great Clowes was for mugs.

I circled Manchester in my student days but never around there. The closest I got was Urmston where there was one of those shops that sold GUS rejects and returns.

I still have moments of nostalgia for The Band on the Wall.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Our local Focus used to be called Octopus, but I've no idea if that was part of a chain, or just one store that Focus bought.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Ah, so the DDA forced it's closure then...?

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

I thought it was near the junction of Great Clowes Street and Broughton Lane, I don't recall any islands involved.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

How about Shudehill, where Proops and other emporia were to be found?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think Octopus was Ridgeons' attempt to move to the Homebase type market.

Focus always seemed good to me for lengths of planed rectangular timber for using instead of fiddly architrave. It was nicely finished, and not at all banana-like.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I didn't go up that way much, ISTR there was a Victorian cold store up that way for the storage of fur coats that was supposed to have taken months to defrost when it was cleared and turned into offices.

I was in prime "Shameless" territory for a year on the border between Clayton and Droylesden. My GP was one H. Shipman at that time. Then I moved to Urmston, Fallowfield, Whalley Range, Didsbury, Gatley, Wilmslow in about that order I think.

Reply to
Steve Firth

WTH is an occult bridge? I suppose you could say a bridge is a way of getting to "the other side" but I somehow don't think that's what you mean.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And today B&Q have bought a chunk of the premises, 30-odd if I heard properly.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Boots I think.

Reply to
hugh

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" writes

With a lease you take on all the responsibilities as if you owned the building. You are responsible for all maintenance and when you end the lease you must foot the bill to return it to it's original pristine (according to the LL) condition. You will often even find a close which requires you to ay their legal fees if you argue with their assessment even if you are right. UK Athletics ( or similar) fell into this trap big time when they leased Crystal Palace. When they tried to terminate the lease they were prevented with a restoration bill of many millions. Lease are consequently usually cheaper and lessees are afforded greater protection.

Renting is basically just like renting a house. LL is responsible for maintenance and you have less protection from rent increases and notice to quit.

Reply to
hugh