flytipping

Getting out of hand round here

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect are contributing to the fly tipping problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1
Reply to
Broadback

Brian, Bill posted a picture of a portaloo which must have fallen off the back of a truck into a ditch. Or been thrown there by vandals.

Reply to
GB

Another "unintended consequence" by a government lacking critical thinking:

1) 1995 - Sutton Council stuck skips everywhere every 6 months for general use;

2) Some greenie says "we need to reduce landfill, let's not do that - and make it so even small commercial traders cannot use most dumps and if they use ones with a weighbridge, we'll charge a fortune";

3) Increase in flytipping;

4) Introduce waste transport certification to combat fly tipping;

5) No difference.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback on a scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to save money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost more for the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly tipping'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Actually I have spoken to the council at length about this, just after they started to charge 62 quid a year to remove garden waste. they tell me that the government has imposed a land fill tax on all councils which has recently risen considerable. this is to encourage the use of recycling schemes. However some of the rubbish seems to not have any bin for it, and it it is this that g gets fly tipped. Builldiing rubble, old sofas aand mattresses and old domestic appliences. yYou can take the old domestic appliences in for free but they charge to pick them up. The same goesfor mattresses and sofas, but general rubble and crap seems to still be an issue here.

If you allowed some kind of agrogate supplier into the loop they would love some of this rubble. It seems daft that they charge to process it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have been to the council tip twice in the last week (haven't had to go for quite a while before that).

1) I had a car full of broken down and flattened cardboard boxes that had been collected by a family member, who then decided they didn't want them. Queued to get into tip and indeed inside the tip, then directed to a space a long way from the cardboard hopper. Lugged a load of it across, to be told that the hopper was full and they couldn't take it. I was told I would have to take it to Sainsburys as "they do recycling". I needed the car for other duties, so rather than unload, I did a 12 mile round trip to the next tip. 2) I went back with a bed that was wood covered in PVC. Was told it was 'bulky waste' and the hopper was full. Repeated the 12 mile round trip as the car was in demand. At the other tip (same council) I was told it was household waste and to put it in the appropriate hopper (I could have done that at the first place if they'd let me).

I complained both times to the council and at least had a positive sounding apology. The contractor should be moving the hopper to another container when the first one is full, and I should have been able to wait that short time.

(Incidentally, on my 12 mile round trip I pass a good site for flytipping)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agree 100%, but you need to have a brain to see the logic in your argument.

When I finished uni the 4 that came bottom of the class (all received a

3rd, i.e. "we should have failed you, but did have the heart to after 4 years") went to work for the council... They are probably controlling budgets of 10s of millions now...
Reply to
JoeJoe

What's different is that government is now extracting your money.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Brian Gaff explained on 26/03/2017 :

The exception for us is builders rubble, everything else sofas, mattresses, furniture etc. is collected and disposed of for free. We have three wheelie bins, green - paper/cans/cardboard packing; black general rubbish; brown - garden rubbish for composting.

Bulky waste collection can be booked on line.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Our local council have also started to charge - just a bit over 16GBP for up to three items, paid in advance by card.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'll bet there is a hell of a mess inside.

Reply to
nemo

That was only one ,

At least they were probably unused since delivery.

Most unusual place I saw one was floating a mile or so off the Isle of Wight , barely visible just breaking the surface. We did report it to the coastguard as a hazard a to navigation , the door was flapping open so we were reasonably sure nobody was still in it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Actually, that significantly reduced the number of lead acid batteries recycled. They used to be carried back by the vans delivering new batteries, but that became illegal, and they each needed paperwork which cost money and many people found wasn't worth the effort anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Another one of the many reasons that, IMNHO, much that the State does either has no effect at all, other than adding bureaucracy (the main output of Government), or the opposite effect of that intended.

Reply to
Huge

Probably got there on a recent wind storm day.

One group had youtube footage of an E-type bog tearing down a busy A road in lashing rain.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I am such a cynical sod, that I find it completely amazing that I underestimated that ^^^

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I try to be responsible.

I drop my rubbish somewhere then phone in anonymously to report it so it gets picked up by the council. :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There is no such thing as garden waste.