Fluorescent light mystery!

Six foot double batten unit. One tube not working for about four months. Swapped the two starters over. Same tube still not working. Replaced that tube. Replacement (in the same position) not working. Gave up for a while.

Two weeks later - both tubes lit! Still OK after a couple of days. Why? What could possibly cause the thing to start working again? I don't know enough to even speculate. Can anyone suggest what might have happened?

Reply to
Chris

Are both tubes near an earthed piece of metal? I've found that maginal tube starting can be improved by the close proximity of an earthed metal object to the tube, and older fittings sometimes had a piece of springy metal apparently for that purpose.

Reply to
Caecilius

bad connection.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have an old single tube unit with what I suspect is a failing tube. A ball of Bacofoil wedged between the middle of the tube and the metal reflector allows it to start, when without it, it won't.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Possibly but all the normal ones have been made/remade which normally cures such things. Could be an internal connection of course. If it wasn't for the extended period of no workee I'd say temperature. Our garage florry is very reluctant in the winter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like dodgy connections to me. I' eve had a verisimilar thing on an old Thorne fitting. It seems to buzz louder than it used to now though, but no arcing or anything and no sign, funny smells of failing components.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I totally forget the temp range T8 is happy with, but it's worse than T12, and IIRC not suited to outdoor winter use on a traditional ballast.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr