3. Will an engineered wood solution, whether glued T & G or KlickLok, work properly with underfloor heating, and will it be as noisy?
Ok, that's five questions. Thanks if you can help
Edward
On 2007-07-10 08:46:59 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said:

The manufacturer's instructions cover this.

Yes.
Yes it will work with underfloor heating.
No it won't have the horrible clicky sound of laminate. Think of the difference between closing the door on a BMW vs. a Skoda.

thanks for the advice. We bought 53 packs of maple engineered clicklok stuff from Topps Tiles - very cheap at 10 a sq. metre. Amazingly John Lewis were quoting 50 a sq. metre to LAY an engineered wood floor. I can get a top site chippy for 150 a day and I bet he could lay more than 3 sq. metres.
Edward
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I installed a "click lock" Kahrs floor 4 years ago, no problem whatsoever to date.

If I managed to install it myself, anyone can do it ;-). If the room is squared, no problem at all, even a kid can do it. It becomes a slow process for corners and bay windows. I used paper models to cut the planks, see:
http://i15.tinypic.com/4lt361f.jpg
(even if it is not clear from the picture, there is a 1cm gap between the floor and the skirting board).

This I don't know.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
(Virginia Woolf)
Galet wrote:

It will work, yes. Mine does anyway. However versus e.g. tiles here is significant thermal gradient through it, making underfloor insulation more critical.
Not sire what you men by 'as noisy'
All laminate over foam type installations sound 'tacky' to an extent.