Flooring my shed - suggestions?

That would only be the case if the place has not been adequately damp proofed and insulated and with appropriate vapour barriers and ventilation in place. If it is so damp that treated floorboards deteriorate then there are going to be far more significant failures happening.

Marine ply is total overkill for a job like this, with a price to match. At the very most, if ply were being considered, WBP would be more than adequate.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

ah, that;s the paragraph that I forgot to add, of course!!!! It never ceases to amaze me the applications that the DIY makeover progs recommend "just some marine ply" for when WBP would be perfectly adequate and about

30% of the price! One particular Small City Gardens program must have used 50 sheets of the stuff for a perimiter fence, painted blue and in "tumbling" rotations. Give 'em an expense account and they just forget the real world....

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I blame the parents. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

But - unless you're putting some really massive loads on the floor - by an insignificant amount. The floors in my home are floating chipboard on expanded polystyrene which is a lot more compressible than celotex type boards and are fine after 25 years.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I dont see many sheds with all this. Now if you put that lot in place, ok, but if not you will need wood that will survive damp.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Quite.

But if by "marine ply" you mean properly certified ply to BS1088 then that is way overkill. WBP external would be easily sufficient for this application and a fraction of the price.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

He's already doing that for the walls because he wants to use it as a kind of office. However, if it were a damp and unventilated environment, I agree with you.

Having said that, I recently dug up a piece of flooring grade chipboard that had been buried in the garden for 18 years....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed. We built a shed some 10 years back to store garden machinery. The floor joists were supported on small concrete pads and the floor is exterior grade ply which was given a good dose of creosote on both sides before installation.

I see no sign of deterioration at all. As it has plenty of ventilation underneath I don't envisage any problems at all.

Easy floor to install and a nail gun ensured it is well held down. Once it was installed the shed was built on top of it. (Galvanised corrugated 'iron' as it is known round here for the roof and sides.)

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
tpaul