Fishy smell in new house

Last problem about our house, I hope!

Since moving in, one of the rooms has stunk like either battery acid or strong fishy smell.

One DIY site I've been on suggested it was Crown paint at fault but as someone suggested, 'Why just that room and not the whole house?'. Thankfully it seems to be dissipating but any answers to cause and cure, gratefully received again.

Reply to
mjohn06

It'll be a burning electrical fitting, either a lamp holder or switch. Could be a socket I guess, but my money's on the lampholder.

Reply to
Andy Cap

An overheating lamp fitting can make that smell (I think it's from the bakelite or melamine). Most likely a poor contact or perhaps a too high a wattage bulb in a fitting. Of course it doesn't have to be a lamp fitting and it could be another electrical fitting but that's what I'd put my money on.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com used his keyboard to write :

The two smells are not at all similar.

A fishy smell is often produced by old electrical type plastics (and especially so Paxolin) when they overheat. Check light fittings, sockets and especially any old mains powered radios.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, the fishy smell is amine from Melamine - often due to a loose terminal arcing.

Reply to
PeterC

Dear Sir,

Reference your recent stay at Mrs Plonger's boarding house:

We know what it is and who put it there, but for God's sake please tell us where it is.

(Attrib. The Goons? )

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Battery acid would be bad eggs. Fishy would be cheap and nasty DIY-Shed light fittings.

Answers presumably posted by rival paint manu's moles.

Been here/there done that. Vendor stripped out the good stuff and left you with [Shed] light fitting.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Check for prawns in commode - if found, lure them out with Marie Rose sauce (their natural diet, you often see them nose-down in it).

Reply to
Lino expert

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Was it previously a knocking shop ?

Reply to
geoff

Dear Lino

I hope you don't mind me addressing you as Lino. I know we haven't been formally introduced, but I feel we have bonded.

I only mention this because I believe you are of the female persuasion, and you can't be too careful these days.

Anywho

This could explain a problem I have suffered with for many years. My favourite starter has always been prune cocktail. However, whenever I order it, there are no prunes present, only nose down prawns.

Do you think those greedy bastard prawns have eaten all the prunes before it arrives at the table? Perhaps their natural diet is prunes and you are only seeing the aftermath?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dear Medders,

You could be feeling the effects of Ronseal "Newsgroup Straynja-bond", which tends to carry out almost precisely what is written on its outer metallic container.

You are indeed correct in your belief that I am the inhabitant of a bumpy jumper.

I noted with interest your theory regarding prune cocktails and 'greedy bastard' prawns and it lead me to consider that perhaps it was indeed an aftermath I had previously seen, rather than the actual event. However, a prune aftermath, if I may be indelicate just for one moment, is far from pink. This lead me towards another theory - the natural diet of the prawn is pink. Now, although I can't claim to be David Attenborough (this myth having been dispelled in my second paragraph), I know that prawns are incapable of making blancmange, this being more the remit of the shark. Ergo I can only conclude that the natural diet of the 'greedy bastard' prawn....is flamingo. QED.

Following this research I change my advice to the OP to (assuming finding of prawns on checking commode) laying a trail of fricasseed flamingo legs.

With regards,

Dame Perspicacia Flange MBE.

Reply to
Lino expert

When I've come across this problem before, it's been overheating electrical equipment.

13A plugs and sockets in particular are very good at emitting this kind of smell when they are almost burning out.
Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Ooh Err.....

I don't think you've thought this through properly. They might be a sub species of constipated prawns. As soon as they see the prunes, they realise they are the answer to their problem & woof them down. Prunes take a while to work after all.

Its getting worse. I didn't say anything about you being an elderly actor (I thought you were wonderful in The Great Escape by the way).

I'm not at all sure about this. Flamingo's are much bigger than prawns - how could a prawn eat a whole one?

Apart from which, flamingo's are pink because they eat shrimps, which are prawns with an American accent.

You may be right there, but what about my prune cocktail?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Please tell us more :-)

Mmmm do tell.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Now, although I can't claim to be David Attenborough"

See previous post re greedy bastard prawns...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes - or cheap light fittings, in my experience. (Actually they're all cheap now aren't they? "Cheap" as in "crap materials", not necessarily price.)

Coming in here late as I have done, may I thank "Medders" and the various responders (all one bloke obviously) for a very entertaining exchange about prunes, prawns, etc.

john

Reply to
jal

Sirrah, I must just protest and interject that not only am I not a bloke but that, even if I were, I couldn't possibly be 'all one' bloke. I would like this fact noted for the record, and for that record to be the 12" live version of 'Let Me Entertain You'.

Reply to
Lino expert

Dearest Lino

I'd support you about not being a bloke, especially after the bumpy jumper revelation, but I'm still none the wiser about these greedy bastard prawns. I rather hoped that being related to a famous, albeit elderly, actor would have given you some insight.

Your flamingo theory doesn't have legs, fricasseed or not. Do you have any further thoughts re my prune cocktail dilemma?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman