Fireworks (OT)

So I'd need a licence for granny's 100th and the feast of St Woolo, but burning Catholics in effigy is OK ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wibbled on Sunday 18 October 2009 23:31

Dunno - we usually burn the Prime Minister or somesuch down these parts - and that's the official village event ;->

Reply to
Tim W

There is/was an active usenet group that gives all the necessary details on making any fireworks ... rec . pyrotechnics

not been on group for a while - so un sure if thought police have closed this down.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick Hughes wibbled on Tuesday 20 October 2009 12:31

Looks alive and well. Not sure how the UK police could close down an international USENET group, nor how they could justify trying, as pyrotechnics isn't illegal in of itself.

Reply to
Tim W

I didn't actually say UK Police .........

BTW ... Governments can ban things when they want to, all they would have to do is prove that home made explosives are being made as a result of data on the group and they could shut it down using anti-terrorist laws. rec.pyrotechnics used to frequently point to hosting sites for TBBOM and PMJB and the Anarchists Cookbook, all documents that are public domain, but severely frowned upon by people in government.

They don't like seeing the recipies contained in them ... now many people on rec.pyrotechnics used to make PE4, Naplam, Nitro, TNT etc.

China simply didn't want external internet sites accessed by it's citizens .. and successfully had them closed down to China .... so you can shut international sites.

I am not advocating any of this .. just aware of realities.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I remember a chemistry practical at school where we made NT; probably ended up with a mixture of mono- and di-nitrotoluene. (Can't recall if it was O-level or A-level.) Had to keep the test tube running under a tap to keep it cool. At the end of the lesson, someone's blew up when they poured it down the sink. Teacher thought it was probably triggered by some other chemical residue in the sink. Blew out a ceiling tile, but no other harm done.

I bet they don't do that in GCSE or A-level chemistry any more.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel