Finding a water tank

Hi,

Slightly random question: I'm trying to find a small water tank for a drip-irrigation system on my balcony. I'm not fussed how it looks, or what it's made of but, as it needs to fit into a nook at the side, the size is critical - it has to be 10cm wide x 50cm long x 50cm high. Google finds lots of overly water butts and way-too-small plastic boxes, but nothing in between. I was hoping someone here might have a better suggestion...

Zara

I can't think of anything commercial that would use something that size. The

10cm dimension is the real toughie. Could you use a toilet cistern? the type that you build in behind a wall. It is much lower volume that your dimensions but used with a ball valve could keep itself filled up. A disc placed in the main outlet fitting would seal that hole up easily It would hold about 10 litres compared to your size which is 25 litres.

Any good?

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

How about a water carrier of the sort used by campers - poly bottle basically with large filling cap and tap on front face.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A made to measure fish tank (fairly easy DIY)?

P >
Reply to
Peter

Or just knock something up from plywood, and put a layer of glass cloth and resin on the inside to proof it.

Or gets some styrene sheet and cement, and make one.

Or solder one up from tinplate, copper or brass..the number of fuel tanks for model planes one could get out of a Colman's mustard tin was amazing..

Also try Tupperware boxes...may find something suitable

Also various guttering bits may be usable..a standard hopper with the middle cut out and glued back together maybe..

But given that it's long, deep and narrow, I think making it from scratch is the most sensible approach.

Model railway suppliers will do you styrene sheet that you can cut with scissors and glue wit styrene cement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you all for the suggestions. I particularly like the idea of buying something bigger and cutting the middle out - obvious in retrospect but it never occured to me.

Zara

This sounds easy too - only question is whether the glue or styrene cement might leach toxins into the water that could upset my plants.

Reply to
Zara

well polystyrene is used a lot in plant propagation, so I doubt its harmful The cement is just the plastic dissolved in a solvent and that evaporates after making you high and giving you a headache.

Polystyrene dies IIRC degrade in sunlight over time though. UV etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sealing the take-off tap in isn't so trivial. Very do-able, but the camping water-bag is easier, to my mind. (I use a different water-carrier in my camping kit, but I recognise the ones described. Very effective.)

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Or tent fabric and make your own water-bag, as per original suggestion. Still going to be fun getting the valve to fit tightly.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

silicone is good.

Reply to