Finding a local company to dispose of rubbish - paperwork?

We have a large shed/workshop at the bottom of the garden that is full of old kitchen units and assorted other rubbish left from the previous owner. Given a) we've been here for 8 years and b) the roof has given up completely now time has come to get rid of it all.

Several companies seems to advertise in the local free papers that they will come and pull it down (not much work there!) and take it all away but I'm obviously keen to check it doesn't just end up in a field up the road.

Several of them claim in their ads to be registered (with who?). Don't say the council as I've rung them 4 times and sent 3 emails - all with absolutely no answer to this question! It's been 6 weeks now and I'm giving up chasing them :-(

Also, I seem to recall there being some sort of paperwork we should get from them to formally transfer the ownership of the rubbish - what is this called?

Finally, no, I can't do it myself as it is a big workshop that would take loads of trips in the car and no, I can't fix it as it was far too knackered for that to be worthwhile when we moved in let alone now!

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Visit,Phone,meet,write,email your local councillor and inform him/her you are not getting any satisfaction from the council office. Do this first and then email or call into office and inform them you have contacted your local counsillor for that area about the ignorence to help you on this matter.

This will shift the gits.

Reply to
George

Registration is not their responsibility.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

All waste carriers need to have a licence from the Environment Agency and have to issue you with a transfer note. Failure to do so can land then and you with a hefty fine. More details on the Environment Agency website.

Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Pointless because they are not responsible for registration, it is DEFRA.

Waste Transfer Note.

This is normally for commercial waste which yours is not.

However, if you use a commercial waste carrier, skip company etc. then there should be a WTN, and typically that is on the paperwork you should get from them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not necessarily so, as they have no legal responsibility to keep a register of firms that carry out this work nor even to shift the rubbish!

Reply to
Brian G

Pardon the pun but you are talking complete rubbish! The Council have no responsibility for anything but normal quantities of domestic rubbish.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That so,so why do they take broken down wooden wardrobes,bed mattresses,doors ect ect, where I live.

ps your rates low or summat?

Reply to
George

I didn't say registration was their responsibility,if they are registered with the council the council can and will let you know.

Liverpool city council has an registered outside contract with a firm called 'bulky bobs' to pick up white goods,you ring the council for disposal of white goods and they give one or two numbers to ring for said registered firm.

:-P

Reply to
George

George,

That is at the prerogative of the local authority - *there is no legal requirement* for them to do so.

FWIW mine will collect any household 'rubbish' such as beds, wardrobes, fridge's etc FOC - but will not take builders rubble (such as doors) or garden rubbish - (unless it can be recycled as compost) but you can take 'em to the tip yourself - and my council tax isn't exactly low!

A neighbouring local authority charges for the collection service.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

True enough. But they should still reply, even if only to say that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's irrelevant.

The responsibility for waste collection registration is with the Dept of the Environment.

I think that you're getting confused between outsourcing by the local authority of its waste collection and the registration process itself.

Of course, the council uses a registered (as in registered by the DoE) firm to do their collection - even a council in Liverpool is bright enough to figure that one out. It could be a touch expensive for them in fines were they to subcontract to Fred's Flytipping rather than to Bulky Bob.

However, local authorities do tend only to offer collection of a select range of items over and above the weekly collections of domestic waste. If the householder wants other things collected, then he has to make his own arrangements and either take the items to the tip or organise a commercial firm to do the work.

The sensible householder will identify a few candidates, negotiate the price and then call the DoE helpline or look on their web site to see if the firm is registered. One can also use the DoE web site to identify potential collection firms. However, registration is also required for some businesses handling waste even if it is not their primary business. For example, my local vet is on the site, but has never expressed an interest in dismantling sheds and carting the bits away. He seems to do rather better chopping the balls off of pussycats.

Is that all clear now?

Reply to
Andy Hall

To improve the street scene, I imagine - they don't look good in front gardens.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes! They charge a tenner per large item such as a bed.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Actually the Environment Agency not the DOE.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

|! |! |!We have a large shed/workshop at the bottom of the garden that is full |!of old kitchen units and assorted other rubbish left from the previous |!owner. Given a) we've been here for 8 years and b) the roof has given up |!completely now time has come to get rid of it all.

Sounds as if http:

could be a way out ;-:

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Book a skip, knock the whole thing down, put in the skip everything that won't burn, burn the rest. You could have done it today had you booked a skip yesterday.

Reply to
Phil L

That's the thing I was thinking of

Ah...

One company that appeals is a fencing company - handy as when the shed is gone we will need a fence in place ASAP and this lot might be able to do both (long shot - anyone heard of

?).

I assume a company like this isn't likely to be offering a Waste Transfer note then? tbh, I suspect that someone with enough land could just burn a lot of this. Can't really have a bonfire like that in the garden here (as much as I'd like to!)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

The problem with this is that we don't have anywhere to put a skip apart from outside the front of the house. This is a couple of hundred yards from the shed (unless I carry it all through the house - SWMBO won't allow this) and I don't fancy shifting loads of old kitchen units and a 18x9 ft shed that far.

Be much easier to find someone with a smallish truck (TP have got their

7.5 tonne one down the back if the driver reverses it all the way :)) who can pull up, load up and go.

It's shared access so we can't park a skip on it :-(

Darren

Reply to
dmc