filthy beggar

Hi

Ive got an old hoover thats probably the most useful hoover I've ever had, so no I wont be downgrading. But it has a cloth bag, non removable. Its coated inside with filth, well stuck in place. How do I get it clean?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Non-removeable .Jeez -that must be ancient . A very old one I had years ago with a cloth bag -it was removeable . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Wash it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Use a stiff brush to loosen the crud, then borrow a Dyson and vacuum it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If it has a filthy cloth back then if can't be efficient as the air has to escape through the material of the back. If the air can't exhaust effectively then it cant suck very well - unless of course the air is not going out of the bag but leaking elsewhere.

Reply to
John

With suitable ingenuity, I'm sure most things can become 'removable'.

What model is it? How does the bag appear to be attached? - Does it perhaps have a crud covered clamp or clip inside, or is it secured in some sort of collet arrangement?

I recall with fondness my mothers indestructible, 40 year old Hoover Junior, and was most peeved when it was upgraded in favour of piece of plastic, and was sent to the tip rather than being passed down the family.

Reply to
MAILER-DAEMON

In message , N. Thornton writes

Stick it in a Dyson washing machine

Reply to
geoff

Have you seen the damage that they did to carpets with that metal bar on the roller? If you come across one again, hold a pencil etc against the bar and see.

In use on a carpet, it hammers down the pile and slices it off against the grit stuck in the base of the pile, resulting in threadbare patches. A good cleaner lifts the pile and sucks the grit out.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Observation not your strongest point then Mary!

Reply to
Pet

Surely a Hoover washing machine would be more apt.

Reply to
Pet

"It beats as it sweeps" I seem to remember the slogan went, it sure used to beat the hell out metal bars at doorways.

Reply to
Toby

I think 1950s probably. Despite its antiquity it has outusefulled all the fancy modern things.

Yeah I know, I can see how to, but it wouldnt achieve anything. I just want to turn the bag inside out and figure out how to get the thick layer of welded crud off. A stiff brushing hardly touched it.

Weird thing is despite all this crud it still has very good suction. I think if I get that bag clean the suction will be dangerous.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The Dyson may last long enough to vacuum a small bag without a repair.

Reply to
Doctor D.

I suspect you'll spend more time on this than simply totally dissasembling it.

Something of that vintage is probably rather easy to dissasemble. Unscrew all the screws, and note where they came from. Now, pull it apart, and find out how the bag is meant to come out from the other side. You might want to look at the brushes, to see how they are wearing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It is, but I dont see it would gain anything, I already have access to both sides of the cloth. What I need to work out is how to get the cloth clean. It has a layer of muck thats very firmly attached. I wouldnt consider machine washing it as it would clog the filter or pump. I guess I'm going to have to handwash it and see if it gets at least some of it off. It should I guess. Should be a fun job.

theyre fine. Its not a carpet beater type thankfully. I recently opened up the fan section and cleaned it out, all sorts of bits were stuck in there. Ran noticeably faster afterwards. The thing that puzzles me about this is that despite having stuff clogged in the fan and a half blocked bag, it still outperforms any similar newer machine.

Now, once I've done this one I might turn my attention to the /really/ old one.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Oh, right. Well, if you've got it apart so that there are no electrical parts involved, then washing it out is an easy solution. Maybe a job to do outside with the hoepipe in this lovely weather.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

snip

After reading that I'm beginning to wonder if I asked the world's most stupid question :) I shall get the bucket out and wash it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton