Fibre glass garage door. Finishing touches. Gold leaf?

Thanks to some earlier advice on the NG, I got my old fibre glass garage door shining like highly polished ivory (apologies to Jumbo).
Some of the raised mouldings on the front of the up and over door have flats rubbed on them by sliding contact with the wooden door frame (cured now). Where this has occurred the colour is distinctly different from the rest of the door. I considered trying to bodge it with some paint but I think this would always detract from the overall effect. So instead, I thought it would be interesting to gold leaf these damaged areas.
I seem to remember reading that the traditional adhesive for gold leaf is glair (egg white). The difference here is that the gold leaf would be going onto a non-traditional material and instead of the object being uniformly covered in the metal, there would be weather exposed edges.
Are ther any better adhesive solutions than this traditional one?
TIA
--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.
"Mike Halmarack" wrote | I seem to remember reading that the traditional adhesive for gold | leaf is glair (egg white). The difference here is that the gold | leaf would be going onto a non-traditional material and instead | of the object being uniformly covered in the metal, there would | be weather exposed edges.
Weather exposed edges don't seem to be a particular problem for signwriters. The difficulty AIUI is stopping the gold leaf sticking to bits you don't want it to. Don't know about fibreglass though.
Owain
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:07:13 +0100, "Owain"

Useful points. I don't know if sign writers usually varnish their work after gilding. With the garage door it's just going to be T-Cut and wax.
--
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to mail me.