Fencing panels

Recently 3 of our fencing panels got blown out through a combination of years of lack of attention (and therefore rotting wood) and slightly off-line concrete posts securing them.

I've bought and put in place the new panels, which I'll obviously treat with loving kindness and suitable preservative (though they are pressure treated already), but now having looked in detail I've noticed that the posts being off-line.

Assuming I'm not going to have the whole fencing structure re-done, what is the best solution for fencing panels that are flush on one side of the slots but slightly out towards the top (i.e. they fit perfectly at the bottom but one one side there is a small lean in the post so that by the top the panel is out of the slot by a few mm).

Would just jamming some wedges into the gap be the answer, or is something more appropriate called for?

I know fencing panels aren't particularly popular, but these are just

3 panels in about a 12 panel fence, so I'm not minded to make any "structural" changes to the style of the fence for a few years.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

I would cut a long wedge (no need to it to taper all the way down to nothing), and screw it onto the side of the fence panel before re- fitting the panel. I don't think just jamming the wedge in the gap would be reliable enough. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I suppose that makes sense. My problem is I didn't realise there would be such a gap until I actually got it in there, and given how strenous it was to get it in, I don't really fancy getting it out again - though that might be the only sensible thing to do.

Actually, I suppose I could raise it a few feet and attach a wedge to the top few feet, as that's where the majority of the problem is.

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Just lift it up a could of feet on bricks and put the wedge in, only screwed at the top two feet. And/or apply some suitable glue to the wedge before you wedge it in. An exterior version of no-more-nails would work (one that sticks on damp wood). Others can advise you of a suitable adhesive. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I come across this a lot. Posts are rarely if ever dead level and panels are rarely (never) square - try measuring the diagonals on one.

The long wedge is the answer & jamming it e.g. hammering it down from the top, then screwing the panel to the wedge is dead reliable, even in highly exposed areas subject to high winds.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman