Expansion Tank Mould/Slime - Urgent?

Just been up to put some CH cleaner in the expansion tank of our open vented system. There is a layer of mould/slime floating on the surface of the water in the tank. The layer is about 1cm thick and looks a bit like a white/grey blanket weed. (The tank was enclosed with polystyene sheet for frost protection but I obviously had it too airtight - I'll cut some vents in to let it breathe.) Can anyone say what this is? In particular could it be anything hazardous (e.g. Legionnaire's).

Matt

Reply to
Matt Birchall

It's actually the remainder of the seed pods for one of these

be very careful when you go into the loft because there is likely to be one hiding in the corner. Salt water kills them......

Seriously though...... I've seen this a few times with undosed systems - I think it's some sort of mould as you say.

You should find that when you add new inhibitor that it has fungicidal properties to stop this in future. I don't think that there's a need to make more ventilation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Keep it air tight. It will breathe via the overflow pipe.

Reply to
IMM

It is a bacterial slime and it also occurs with some inhibitors. All you need to do is skim it off the top of the tank and dump it as long as you have reasonable antibodies it wont harm you. Biocidal inhibitors are available or you can simply repeat the skimming from time to time

Reply to
John

Think you may have forgotten the need for the expansion pipe to have access to the tank?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)