Essex couple tear down walls in 'beeping sound' search

Duhhhhh..... LOL

retired couple driven to despair by a constant beeping sound ripped out walls in a bid to find the cause - only to find it was from a smoke alarm buried in a chest of drawers.

Paul and Jeanette Henry, of Frinton, Essex, are facing a bill of hundreds of pounds to replace the plasterwork.

Mrs Henry, 68, said she was "absolutely amazed" when they found the culprit - a 10-year-old smoke alarm in an old desk.

"We were tearing our hair out," she said.

The couple, who first heard the beeping a year ago, said they had called out electricians to try to find the cause.

The beeping eventually stopped during the summer.

However, on returning from holiday a fortnight ago, they discovered the beep had not only returned but it was now going off every 30 seconds, night and day.

"Paul took up all the floorboards in the attic but it was getting silly," said Mrs Henry.

"I was even going round listening to all the grandchildren's toys in case a battery was wearing out.

The Henrys made two holes in the wall to try to locate the beep "We had to do something as we were getting desperate; we weren't getting any sleep."

Another electrician suggested a "mischievous builder" might have dropped an alarm between two plasterboard walls so builders were called to knock them through.

They did not find anything.

"We were tearing our hair out, we now had two gaping holes and there was still this blessed bleep," said Mrs Henry.

Eventually Mr Henry, 67, a retired print worker, decided to turn all the lights off upstairs and try to locate the sound in the dark.

He followed the noise to an old chest of drawers on the landing and, as he opened the desk, the sound got louder.

Mrs Henry said: "Right at the back he found a smoke alarm, which must have been about 10 years old, whose battery was running out and bleeping away quite happily to let us know.

"We couldn't believe it, we were absolutely amazed, but really relieved, although we still keep thinking we can hear it."

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I have nearly been there. I went to a house with "a bleeping smoke detector". It was not the smoke detector to blame. Every two minutes I heard the bleep but I was not sure where it was. Every two minutes the customer said "will it bleep soon" just as it bleeped which did not help. When I managed to make her keep her gob shut long enought to find the source of the bleeping I found a CO detector in a set of drawers.

Reply to
ARW

I've just finished tearing a bathroom to pieces to find a leak. I finally found the leak yesterday after following every pipe, dismantling walls as I went. Today I decided the easiest thing to do was finish the job off and take the rest of the wall down and rebuild from scratch. It turns out that I now have enough space to put a bath in to replace the shower! I'll try to remember to take the camera tomorrow ;)

Been there too. Turn stoptap on, listen carefully to everything filling, customer keeps saying "the toilet's filling". Yes, I know!, Shut TF up!

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Many years ago I was recording a Scottish Chamber Orchestra concert when, in the middle of a flute & oboe concerto, some beeping started. Audience members were looking at each other trying to work out what idiot had a beeping watch (this was long before mobile phones). I was next to my tape recorders etc at the side of the hall. Eventually I realised the sound was coming from one of my bags... opened a zip ... it got louder... Oh God ... I reached in and found a travel alarm clock. Very embarassing, and hard to forget because it ruined the recording, for me at any rate, because I could hear the sound as I knew exactly where it was. Every time I had to work with it I winced.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Not in the "drawers" *she* was wearing I presume? ;-)

Reply to
Unbeliever

En el artículo , Mentalguy2k8 escribió:

Been there, done that. Well, not to the extent of ripping down walls, but got the ladders out, took two smoke detectors down from high ceilings and threw them out*. Drove me mad for days.

Turned out to be the dishwasher sounding its 'end of cycle' warning. It's a piezo buzzer with a very high frequency. I couldn't hear it in the kitchen, but the acoustics of the house somehow made it very audible in other rooms.

  • fixed, non-removable batteries
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well. Essex you see.

Reply to
harry

Our telephone beeps occasionally. Dunno why. Sometimes it rings immediately afterwards,sometimes not.

Reply to
harry

You know I'm not going to suggest they wre a bit dim, but surely when you hear this sort of noise the first thing you do is have everything out of drawers and cupboards, not knock holes in walls?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wonder how quickly the builder sussed it though... I suspect he'd have "suggested" several more ludicrous scenarios and ended up demolishing and rebuilding the entire house if they hadn't found it. And the driveway, just to be sure.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I can hear the clapper vibrating gently when the caller display unit checks for messages every 20 mins or so.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh, ffs. Talk about overlooking the obvious method.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Buried somewhere in the dross pile, I have an old sports timer which lets out a bleep. Fortunately, it's neither too frequent or penetrating and I'm amused to hear it from time to time as I pass. I think it goes off once a week or so.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mentalguy2k8 was thinking very hard :

I sympathise with them. We have had a bleep going off at the same time for many years, by the time you have motivated to try to trace it, it has always stopped. I happened to find it yesterday evening - it was a digital watch which I last wore about 15 years ago and in a tiny decorative drawer which we never use. Quite how its battery managed to keep it going for all of that time, I don't know, but it was many hours out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Customer rings up. 6pm Friday :-( Nobhead me gets nicely asked to go. Beep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Block of flats, 3 floors, plenty of concrete and echoes. I could not identify the detector (communal areas) that was beeping so in desperation I took the lot down and put them outside. Beep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was in flat 16 which was empty.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I keep various carniverous plants. When flies are lured inside pitcher-plants their buzzing resonates amazingly and the buggers can take hours to die.

Reply to
Reentrant

We had a very occasional bleep that I found when it happened to go off when I was in the loft. It was a faulty smoke detector. It was full of spiders.

Once when a bit pissed I walked all round and then out of a house in Norfolk and across a field trying to find the source of a bleep. It turned out to be a cordless phone in my coat pocket that was running out of battery.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

We have an automatic cat flap that reads the chips in the cats' necks and only allows them in. The first time the battery got low, it started beeping every so often. For over a week we couldn't suss what it was. If you were in the kitchen, the beep seemed to be coming from the living room and vice-versa. It didn't help that the beep was soft and that there were three plastic crates of kids toys (many of which beep when squashed amongst other toys) in the living room!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW