Epoxy Resin Mortar

Yes. Good thought.

Great. I love a bit of bucket chemistry. All the better if it's exothermic and toxic as well.

I see that they have mixing kits for that purpose.

Thanks for the comments

Reply to
Andy Hall

Man after me own heart..I used a bit of epoxy 'mortar' to repair some render that kept falling out where a much used door has its frame fastened.

Stuck like shit to a shovel, and painted up a treat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like it'll hit the spot.

I've always dreamed of having a mini-Manhattan Project (something needs to be done about Birmingham) but it's a bit of a hassle getting the ingredients.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is that more or less adhesive than shit to a blanket?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's the stuff B&Q sell, ends up light grey in colour, somewhere around 20 quid a pot, superb for repairing spalling on concrete lintels and chunks taken out of workshop floors when someone drops a heavy object.

The instructions will tell you to always mix the whole of the contents but unless it is a huge hole/area you are filling and you can work very quickly then in this weather most of it will go off before you can fully finish it. Ideally you need it around 10 deg C to give about 1 hour working time, in 20-25 deg you get about 30 minutes if that. According to the tech info it's not supposed to exotherm but I don't believe it. - maybe in a flat paint roller tray it wouldn't but mixed in the supplied bucket it will.

Weighing out fractional amounts with an accurate set of scales results in a practical quantity for most purposes.

Cleaning off of trowels requires either their own cleaner or acetone

- before it goes hard :) Wear vinyl gloves, goggles and disposable overalls

Reply to
Matt

Contract out the work to Al Quaeda?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That was going to be my next question - working time and fractional amounts - thanks for anticipating..

Reply to
Andy Hall

Search for Self Levelling compounds ... any company that makes that will also do what you want

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I've done quite a bit of potting for electronics with room-temperature catalysts. In winter the pot-life would be about 40 minutes and it would take overnight to cure. On a hot summer's day don't bother... the pot life would be seconds, and I have actually seen a batch go off in mid-pour. If you have to do it now choose a chilly night and do it in the early morning. After pouring do a light waft with the hair drier which will make it slightly runny, before it starts to cross-link.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I used it on a hot summers day. Working time about 15 minutes. Hard in a couple of hours. Rock hard after a day. Roughly the same as '30 minute epoxy'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not tried this, but would it work to put the stuff in the fridge before use? Should take it a bit of time to reach 30C then.

NT

Reply to
meow2222