engineering a one off

?Do engineering companies entertain DIY'ers with half brained ideas?

i.e. should I have a design for a plate of steel to be drilled & countersunk (drawings supplied) would anywhere be willing to do it? any ideas where I might start looking? TIA

Reply to
Vass

Look round your local industrial estates for metal fabricators. You should find one which will do it for a fee.

I had an odd-shaped duct made out of stainless steel sheet a few years ago, as an overflow to be built into the wall of my pond. I think they charged me 30-odd quid at the time.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Where are you Vass?

I would recommend

for Tim. snipped-for-privacy@paneltec.co.uk

And he will pop it in the post for you.

Baz.

Reply to
Baz

Roger Mills wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

My local steel stockholders did just what the OP wants - they do a little fabrication on the side, I just walked one day in and asked if they could do x, y and z for me and they said yes, that'll be , Friday OK for you?

... and it was a lot less expensive than I thought it would be; AND they were happy to work to real measurements rather than French ones.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yes. Mostly.

Many small engineering/metal fabrication companies will help, offer advice and charge a reasonable amount for it. In my experience they quite like something out of the ordinary occasionally instead of the usual run of 'wrought iron gate finials' ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'm using them for just this. They water jet cut, etc. If you can give them a CAD file (DXF or DWG) it would make things simpler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
?

Guildford and south thereof... will look em up Ta!

Reply to
Vass

=A0 London SW

Which leads to the question - is there a simple free CAD package that can be recommended for generating such drawings ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

=A0 =A0 London SW

Doublecad should do the job:-

airsmoothed

Dunno - I use ProCAD on this RISCOS machine. I believe it can be bought for a PC too. Excellent prog.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a load of plates & supports made to my design, welded, drilled, galvanized ... and was amazed how cheap they were. Just went to local fabrication shop.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Any local steel supply place will probably do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

If only this was available in the UK:

Tim

email with download instructions. It was a blank email with an HTML attachment. Which Firefox opens as code.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just in case anybody is interested, the August (how do they get so far ahead of themselves?) issue of PC Pro has a full version of TurboCAD, version 15 on the cover disk. You have to register, but it is fully working.

It takes some learning, but is pretty powerful.

The paid-for edition is now up to version 18, but it was a useful upgrade for the version 7 I have been using.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Just to say got my parts (water jet cut steel plate with holes) from them. Turnround was one week from me sending the files by email to receiving the parts by post. They also can do most other machine work.

Beautifully made and a good price. So highly recommended.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)