Energy saving lamps

Looking for an alternative for the 500w halogen floodlight as I am currently working outside and its stiil getting dark early. Saw this at screwfix and although nowhere near as powerfull thought that it might come in usefull,

says it has a long-life 2D lamp. 38W = 150W GLS. I am assuming GLS is the equivilent to a standard tungsten bulb but wondered what GLS meant, and why is the energy savng bulb measured in a different way, i.e why is the output wattage lower for an enery saving bulb or why is it measured differently?

Reply to
nthng2snet

Why not buy one of these and run it of a car battery.

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net writes

General Lighting Service - basically a 'normal' light bulb.

Because it is the power consumed that is measured not the output.

Reply to
chris French

I've had one for a couple of years and it has been very useful - doesn't give the same light as a halogen flood (what does?) but is good and much more robust. A 12v DC > 230v AC (car) convertor will also drive it, so it can, and has, been used out on the road when my son's van broke down :-( (hello dad I'm only 85 miles away and I need a new regulator - how soon can you get here!)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

There are large 'energy saving' lights, aimed at industry (and the home closet horticulturalist). Going to

and entering son-t in the search box should turn up something. A 150W bulb of this sort will output about the same light as the 500W. However. If you can arrange it so you are spot lighting the area you work in of course that'll be more efiecinty.

Reply to
Ian Stirling