Encouraging heat to rise

From the post with the title "Between-floor insulation" there is a link to

It says in the review that it encourages heat to rise. Can someone tell me what I am missing out on here as I thought heat did rise.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

It does, but the idea of this material is to bounce radiant heat back up through the floor rather than dissipate itself under the floor.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Heat does not rise.

Warm air rises (natural convection) because it is less dense than cold air.

Heat is transferred by conduction, convection & radiation. This reflects radiated heat back into the occupied space, reducing the radiant heat loss.

Reply to
Onetap

Well strictly speaking, cold air sinks, and enough that it'll push warm air upwards out of the way...

True of course for any homogeneous gas or liquid.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In article , ARWadworth writes

Your intuition is correct, it is indeed snake foil . . . .

Reply to
fred

Fred - that really was rather cleaver. Wish I'd thought of it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't worry, Dave, you will. (paraphrase re. Oscar Wilde). :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

In suspended floors it is best to use high density insulation slabs to prevent sound and heat travelling through the floor- it kills two birds with one stone.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is what I do not understand. The foil is supposed to be under the floorboards and if the house has normal radiators then I thought there would be no radiant heat under the floorboards.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Just spread the word, baco foil is for turkeys, it has no application in building insulation. Btw there is no 'F' in fred (tm) :-)

Reply to
fred

Why? What's special about floorboards which stops them radiating heat?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I agree nothing is stopping the floorboards radiating heat, but how much radiant heat is lost under the floorboards of a house with a normal radiator set up? I assumed not a lot is lost which is I ask.

Would rock wool not be better and cheaper for this sort of insulation?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Not a lot with carpet and underlay but an appreciable amount with bare floorboards

The difference between different sorts of insulation is immeasurably small compared with the difference between having some and not (as always!). Use what you like.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Household radiators are strangely enough poor radiators of heat, they give up most of there heat energy by conduction, to the air surrounding them.

A three bar electric fire radiates heat energy, a radiator just warms up the air, and does not get hot enough to radiate

Wood is a relatively good insulator.

There is going to be very little radiant energy after the heat has traveled through the floorboard, been largely absorbed, and you will get negligible re-emission at the other side.

Wood is never going to be a very good radiator of heat unless you set it alight.

The biggest benefit of sticking a foil product like this under floorboards would be to stop the draughts.

Alternatively you might see some slight benefit if you take a three bar electric fire and point it directly at the floor, with the foil underneath it.

Reply to
DM

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon