Emergency Ward 10

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline. And no bad language.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Bill Wright writes

I have been watching a few of the earliest episodes of Open All Hours, from 1976. That is almost 40 years ago, now. I was almost crying with laughter. So well written and well acted. I knew I enjoyed it first time around, but had forgotten just how good it really was.

Reply to
News

My mother was a nurse and said it was true to life in most ways.

She loved watching it as did many millions.

Reply to
EricP

Very depressing though. I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse: "Am I going to die"?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

How odd that you should bring this up now. Around lunchtime I was thinking about this serial, in particular I was comparing, in my mind the theme tune to that of Dr Kildare.

Reply to
Graham.

The episode I remember was when one of the male protagonists ditched his conventional stethoscope, in favour of an electronic one he had cobbled together himself.

Reply to
Graham.

I remmeber the one when they stopped someone hyperventilating using a paper bag.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Standard technique.

But a big tip for a doctor who tells someone to do this: Make sure they really are hyperventilating and not suffering from something else. (Yes

- I have seen this happen. That doctor did not know what he was doing.)

Reply to
polygonum

Are you sure you weren't watching the movie spinoff, just shown on the digital Talking Pictures channel? Considerably higher production values than the TV show.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes you're right.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Black and white? The film, I mean.

MM

Reply to
MM

But people in 2015 are still asking the same question. No change there then.

MM

Reply to
MM

That is a useful trick that I only found out about AFTER I had had my first panic attack due to overwork in the 1980s. If you have no paper bag handy, try breathing into your jacket, or even into your clasped hands.

MM

Reply to
MM

Anyone remember Dr Cameron and his funny auld nurse with the quavery voice? "Ooh, Doctor, ye cannae puit your hand down there!"

MM

Reply to
MM

Yes, longer nails holding the sets up.

Reply to
Graham.

Oddly, the cameras of the day were such that the best picture was achieved by having all the stuff that was to appear white actually in yellow.

One of the doctors still broadcasts regularly - "hot rocking" Desmond Carrington.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

Yes indeed. Sunday evening? Catching Desmond Carrington on Radio 2 is like taking a step back in time. His show really is exactly as the Light Programme was 50+ years ago, before those pesky pirates upset the status quo.

Reply to
News

No, Fridays 19:00. His voice does have something of a vibrato these days, but he is approaching 90 now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, of course. I caught him when I was driving home on a Friday evening, a few weeks ago.

Reply to
News