Electricity: 3 phase query

Reading was also 200V, up to around 1962. Parents still have a few things which had to be converted - dad's B&D drill, and I did keep the 3kW autotransformer the electricity board fitted inside their washing machine, after the machine itself was scrapped.

I have a book somewhere which lists the supply voltage and frequency in all UK towns prior to standardisation.

DC supplies continued to be available in some areas until about 1980, where there were enough industrial users taking the supply, for example cinemas for their arc lamps. University College London had the 200VDC (or was it 220V, I forget now) wired into all the physics labs. By the time I left in 1983, they had installed their own rectifier in the basement, as the street supply was discontinued.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dreamland amusement park at Margate was a DC supply too. I imagine that changed when new rides were being introduced c1980 as they would probably have had AC motors.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The revived Dreamland will probably be required to have solar panels and a windmill.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are still a number of 66kV feeders in the UK, most date from the 60's and the large scale rollout of the 275kV network.

Steelworks / rolling mills were typical candidates for 66kV connections although a few large towns have 66kV connections with step down to 11kV.

Reply to
The Other Mike

In article , The Other Mike scribeth thus

There was a distribution map somewhere online of the South East, 33 kV and up, can't remember seeing any 66 denoted BICBW...

Reply to
tony sayer

Blyth biomass, I think, is connected at 66.

Reply to
polygonum

lly millivolt/milliamp world, we don't have to contend with forces sufficie nt to rip a machine's internals to pieces as you do with power engineering, so the need for nice, smooth 3 phase supplies simply doesn't arise in the first place!

in regards to electrical safety, that "even just a few megaohms can kill y ou." I shuddered at the time, but feel much less alarmed now in the light o f your remarks.

Aren't megaohms poisonous just like snakes ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

...and venomous mushrooms... ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Presume you mean this?

If so then it's a 132kV feeder connected to the 275kV substation at Blyth

Reply to
The Other Mike

Actually fell across this entirely by accident:

polygonum