Electrical LED driver query

Hi, I have just replaced eight halogen lights in my kitchen with Philips 8W Dimmable LED units 8718696492307. They are working pretty well with the old halogen transformers but I would like to use a dedicated LED driver of good quality (as most lighting people advise). I tried out a Long Life Lamp Company dimmable LED driver rated at 12 W but it just caused flashing of the light and I am returning it. I put the old transformer back and is working all OK again.I don't want to keep making mistakes (if I have please advise) buying expensive failures so has anyone with the knowledge able to point me to a good driver? Thanks. Stuart.
Have you thought that as replacements they may actually have been designed with the normal feed transformers in mind. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 20/09/2015 10:55, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Hi, Well yes it is a thought but I got the impression all LED units work better with dedicated drivers. I will contact Philips in this respect. Thanks. Stuart.

A 'bare' LED will almost certainly perform best with a dedicated driver. But a bare LED doesn't run from AC. So your LEDs already incorporate driver electronics. So all that should be needed is an adequate AC supply at the correct voltage.
Of course it's quite likely your LEDs don't have state of the art drivers. After all, a better LED is always just round the corner.
--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 3:38:45 PM UTC+1, srt wrote:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/8718696492307/led-spot/specifications

Result! Usually the problem is that the low load of LED retrofits is below minimum load on the electronic trafos.

Your present LV transfomers working fine unless there is safety case for replacement, wouldn`t bother.
Philips spec for the lamp allows 12-24V so even wound trafos drifting up in voltage wouldnt be a problem.

To be fair to LLLC they do say
"These drivers should not be used with dimmable led bulbs as this can cause interference and flickering."
http://www.longlifelamps.co.uk/product/productdetail.html?pid 8

In a kitchen the limitations of line dimmed LEDs, they wont dim to zero , are probably tolerable, lamps with external drivers not worth the complication.

Thanks for that. Yes I am inclined to just stick with existing transformers (saves money), although I have emailed Philips for their view.Incidentally, the long life driver was advertised (and still is ) as being dimmable. Product description from website "Dimmable LED Driver 12w DC, 5% to 100% dimming, Using G4,MR16, MR11 and LED Strip LEDs light bulbs with this LED driver instead of an existing Low Voltage transformer will double the life of the G4, MR16 and MR11 LED Light Bulb, constructed to very quality for extended reliability and long life, made by Long Life Lamp Company" Cheers. Stuart.
On 21/09/2015 00:05, Adam Aglionby wrote:

On Saturday, 19 September 2015 15:38:45 UTC+1, srt wrote:

so no problem to solve
NT
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 4:23:48 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If only everything was like that ;-)
Would be slightly wary of LLLC though with claims like " will double the life of the G4, MR16 and MR11 LED Light" same guys do the VW emissions tests.... ;-)
Bulb,

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 16:54:49 UTC+1, Adam Aglionby wrote:

For the OP, dimming can much improve LED life
NT
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 7:24:25 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

rote:

s 8W

the

iver

sed

mer

es

ith

he life of the G4, MR16 and MR11 LED Light" same guys do the VW emissions t ests.... ;-)

Weeell, yes lowering average power through the LED will probably extend it` s light producing life, like dimming an incandescent lamp will also extend its life.
Dimming incan, the efficacy drops out the sky, energy consumption is not li near with light level. Slow starting incan lamps greatly extends their life span.
Dimming LED , efficacy remains pretty much the same or even increases a bit ,because of cooler running. LEDs could care less about being slow started or flashed at high rates.
O.P.`s Philips lamp has a rated lifespan of 15K hours to L70, output down t o 70% of intial, might extend that by having it constantly on dim, but then to get the desired illumination level, have to use more lamps, the saving of extended lamp life disappears...
Dimming on pretty much every circuit should be the standard ,for comfort re asons.