Electric planes - why?

I'm not a bad carpenter (hobby only) and know all about hand-planing with the grain. How is it then that my electric plane rotates 'backwards'? If I go with the grain it chews it up, but 'against the grain' it's fine.

Reply to
Jim_S

And I though this was going to be a suggestion for reducing CO2 emissions from aircraft!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

+1 !
Reply to
Roger Mills

And I thought it was going to be about Heather Mills shaving her leg(s).

Reply to
ARW

I think it's so that if the blade catches in the wood, it will drag the plane out of your hands (and away from all your soft squishy bits), rather than throwing the plane towards you.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Interesting about there being two directions of grain. Other than with the grain or across it. How do you tell?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look closely:-)

The guy at the saw mill is interested in getting the maximum amount of board/scantling out of any trunk and not hugely concerned if the annual growth rings are not exactly parallel to the edges. If you are prepared to pay more he will maximise the number of cuts close to a radiant from the trunk centre.

By the time you cart it home it may have been re-sized several times.

Before planing an edge, you should check to see if the dark winter growth is dipping or rising. Rising going away in my terminology would be *down* grain.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

By running a (hand) plane over it. The grain is invariably at an angle to the surface. In one direction it's smooth and in the other you rough up the grain ends protruding through the surface - a bit like carpet pile.

I thought the same as you until my woodwork teacher put me right about

60 years ago!
Reply to
Roger Mills

Better to have it trying to pull away from you rather than charging straight towards to should something unforeseen happen no?

Pete@

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

Should be able to carry enough batteries for, ooh, 30sec of flight. Assuming it could get off the ground in the first place. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Actually we are considerably ahead of that.

I've certainly flown model planes for 45 minutes + on batteries.

Well over an hour on a typical light aircraft

Its very depressing. Bartteries are so nearly good enough - and yet its almost certion they never will be good enough - even if we got to 50% of theoretical absolute maximum energy density for any chemical battery, it still is absolutely on the edge of being viable commercially.

What we need is some kind of nuclear battery that releases energy as electricity direct from a nucleus....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

I know, I wasn't being entirely serious :)

It did always seem odd to me, using the chain reaction in nuke stations to boil water to drive turbines. There must be a way of getting power direct from the reaction.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I wouldn't worry it'll all change if we leave Europe :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

And if we stay all power tools will be banned to save power and boost the requirement for skilled craftsmen and subsequent up-surge in apprenticeships. Increasing employment all round as more workers will be required to do the same job in the same time.

More employment = less social security benefits and more in-come tax. Winner winner Chicken Dinner.

Ban power tools - boost the economy.

:)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Fireball.

An LFTR that could power an aircraft directly. Much more impressive than Solar Impulse, which was just a gimmick.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

Ooh, thank you. You are full of interesting links, aren't you? :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

well one way is a solar panel looking at a nuclear 'sun' or radiation scintillation..

But actually steam boilers are tried, tested and offer good isolation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here's another one for you.

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way. Pictures of the prototype, and the modified B-36 bomber fitted with one. Also the Russian equivalent, the Tupolev-95LAL.

Reply to
Chris Hogg