Electric planes - why?

I'm not a bad carpenter (hobby only) and know all about hand-planing with the grain. How is it then that my electric plane rotates 'backwards'? If I go with the grain it chews it up, but 'against the grain' it's fine.
--
Jim S

And I though this was going to be a suggestion for reducing CO2 emissions from aircraft!
--

Chris

On 09/05/2016 18:44, Chris Hogg wrote:

+1 !
--
Cheers,
Roger

And I thought it was going to be about Heather Mills shaving her leg(s).
--
Adam

Should be able to carry enough batteries for, ooh, 30sec of flight. Assuming it could get off the ground in the first place. :)
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
On 10/05/16 13:53, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Actually we are considerably ahead of that.
I've certainly flown model planes for 45 minutes + on batteries.
Well over an hour on a typical light aircraft
http://www.electraflyer.com/electraflyerc.php
Its very depressing. Bartteries are so nearly good enough - and yet its almost certion they never will be good enough - even if we got to 50% of theoretical absolute maximum energy density for any chemical battery, it still is absolutely on the edge of being viable commercially.
What we need is some kind of nuclear battery that releases energy as electricity direct from a nucleus....
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
I know, I wasn't being entirely serious :)

http://www.solarimpulse.com/

It did always seem odd to me, using the chain reaction in nuke stations to boil water to drive turbines. There must be a way of getting power direct from the reaction.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

Fireball. http://tinyurl.com/3abkn47 An LFTR that could power an aircraft directly. Much more impressive than Solar Impulse, which was just a gimmick.
--

Chris

Ooh, thank you. You are full of interesting links, aren't you? :)
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.

Here's another one for you. http://tinyurl.com/h9rolbm Scroll down about 3/4 of the way. Pictures of the prototype, and the modified B-36 bomber fitted with one. Also the Russian equivalent, the Tupolev-95LAL.
--

Chris

On 10/05/16 14:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

well one way is a solar panel looking at a nuclear 'sun' or radiation scintillation..
But actually steam boilers are tried, tested and offer good isolation.

"Saki"
On Monday, 9 May 2016 19:30:51 UTC+2, Jim_S wrote:

I think it's so that if the blade catches in the wood, it will drag the plane out of your hands (and away from all your soft squishy bits), rather than throwing the plane towards you.

Interesting about there being two directions of grain. Other than with the grain or across it. How do you tell?
--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Look closely:-)
The guy at the saw mill is interested in getting the maximum amount of board/scantling out of any trunk and not hugely concerned if the annual growth rings are not exactly parallel to the edges. If you are prepared to pay more he will maximise the number of cuts close to a radiant from the trunk centre.
By the time you cart it home it may have been re-sized several times.
Before planing an edge, you should check to see if the dark winter growth is dipping or rising. Rising going away in my terminology would be *down* grain.

--
Tim Lamb

By running a (hand) plane over it. The grain is invariably at an angle to the surface. In one direction it's smooth and in the other you rough up the grain ends protruding through the surface - a bit like carpet pile.
I thought the same as you until my woodwork teacher put me right about 60 years ago!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 09/05/2016 18:30, Jim_S wrote:

Better to have it trying to pull away from you rather than charging straight towards to should something unforeseen happen no?
Pete@
On Monday, 9 May 2016 18:30:51 UTC+1, Jim_S wrote:

I wouldn't worry it'll all change if we leave Europe :)
On 10/05/2016 15:05, whisky-dave wrote:

And if we stay all power tools will be banned to save power and boost the requirement for skilled craftsmen and subsequent up-surge in apprenticeships. Increasing employment all round as more workers will be required to do the same job in the same time.
More employment = less social security benefits and more in-come tax. Winner winner Chicken Dinner.
Ban power tools - boost the economy.
:)