Electric meter & CU in cupboard?

We have the meter and CU exposed, bare on the wall, and I would like to box them in. I plan to use (backless) kitchen wall units which are made of chipboard or MDF. No need to touch any of the wiring, as the cupboards will simply be mounted over the gear.

I have looked and cannot find any reason not to do this but my friend is concerned that there might be an additional fire risk. This seems unlikely as the CU (Wylex) is made from cheap thermoplastic. Is this allowed under electrical regulations?

Reply to
John

Is your friend a perrenial worrier, nay-sayer and general doom merchant?

Chipboard isn't particularly flammable and CUs shouldn't even get warm let alone hot enough to melt or burst into flames just because they're in a box.

Reply to
Scott M

It's fine and it's not making anything worse.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Although a few do.

However, they're going to combust and drop flaming molten plastic either way so nothing much lost. In fact the cupboard (even chip) may contain the fire a little longer giving more time to escape assuming smoke detectors still notice.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Only when it suits him! He doesn't believe in using C/H inhibitor as he thinks it's snake-oil ;-)

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

Reply to
John

Thanks. If anything, as this all is above a sink, it is making things better.

Reply to
John

Same cupboard? How close in the CU to the gas meter. There must be a distance of 150mm between a CU and a gas meter unless separated by a non combustible material.

The relevant regs are BS 6891 but the BS7671 regs that I know only make a passing reference to this (OSG pg 18)

Reply to
ARW

The gas meter is outside. I wish the electric one was too!

Reply to
John

Accessibility and maintainability are the main points. The innards of the CU need to be accessible for testing and maintenance, and the main switch must always be accessible for emergency use. The meter also must be accessible for reading (obviously) and for replacement from time to time.

If the cupboard carcass is fairly easy to remove from the wall, e.g. for a CU or meter change, then there'll be no great problem. But if it becomes built-in to the point where it would be hard to remove and access is difficult I'd consider it unacceptable.

Reply to
Andy Wade

They are often concealed in this way. Just mind you don't drill any cables when fixing it.

Reply to
harryagain

I didn't see the original posting in this thread, but my meter and CU are inside a kitchen wall cupboard in the utility room. Whoever fitted it cut the back out of the cupboard & mounted it over the meter/CU. Works a treat.

Reply to
Huge

AMD3 requires that CU installed after 01-Jan-2016 be...

- Constructed of non-combustible material (eg, metal top & bot) OR

- Enclosed within a non-combustible enclosure (with access to equipment)

An example of a suitable enclosure material would be Plasterboard or Cement Board, Class-0 foam for the seal. There is no mention of IP rating, so cab les could exit through a Class-0 foam lined hole (watch grouping) or intume scent seal oblong suitably positioned.

A hysterical response, frankly, to a sharp increase in fires reported by th e FBU - most of which of doubtful coding and in any case a metal box isn't going to make a huge difference. If you want to counter imbecile screw tigh tening you fit a 300ma time delayed RCD upstream (integrated into smart met ers, giving a viable benefit to their ridiculous nationwide cost) to give s ome useful ACTIVE fire protection and perhaps mandate a smoke alarm right b y the CU or even in the same enclosure if applicable.

As it stands you need do nothing, and the industry is supposedly going to c ode all the old CU as "C3" rather than C1/C2 which means "fix".

It is suspected some CU may have been manufactured with a plastic base whic h excluded fire retardant additives. This is a particularly onerous omissio n where the CU claimed otherwise - re trade descriptions act. If this is th e case, the industry JPEL64 / ESF should have effected a product recall - instead of "whole nation has unfit for purpose CU" when the bulk of the pla nt uses plastic CU. UK CU were supposed to pass the 650oC glow wire test (I think only 1 of 5 tested did) and incredibly they rejected 960oC plastic w hich is routinely used elsewhere.

I personally think non-FR CU should be recalled, and if you want to do some thing about CU fire risk - fit a smoke & upstream fire-RCD (time delay 300m a). A few people used to do just that in timber frame workshops with heavy draw equipment, small price for a bit more fire protection.

If you can make any enclosure lift-off via lift-off brackets (like toilet s ervice panels) or instead machine screw fitted into boiler-rawlplugs (M6/M8 screw fits into steel tube into plastic rawling) then that is ideal.

Reply to
js.b1

The removable screw I refer to (machine screw into tube into rawlplug) is called a Rigifix. It is useful for spanning insulation, or where you want a cupboard to be easily removed without the fastening becoming loose from doing so.

You do not want a cupboard falling on the CU etc, many are little more 1-2 millimetres of High Impact (ha!) PolyStyrene (HIPS, marked PS) and pretty pathetic compared to the thicker stuff MEMera & Merlin Gerin etc turned out.

DNO can be quite crabby and refuse to work without sufficient access (they do work live at times, so somewhat understandable).

Reply to
js.b1

These sound useful, does anyone have experience with them?

I'm needing to put up some Spur shelving on 12mm plasterboard on 2x2 studs on a brick wall. I've tried long frame fixings in the past but they don't seem to expand enough to grip very well. The shelves will go in a 1.5 metre wide alcove where I would need 5 uprights if I screwed them to each stud. This seems rather a lot but if I missed out one stud I'd have a rather long span of about 800mm. If I'm not constrained to the stud locations I could get away with 4 uprights and spans of about

370mm. The shelving will be almost wall to ceiling and each upright and associated bracket will cost about £15 to £20 so there's quite a saving in reducing the count by one.

The pictures on the Rigifix website look like they'll be strong enough to support lots of books and the YouTube video shows they need lots of torque to get the metal sleeve in so they should grip well. But I'm wondering if they will be long enough to provide enough purchase into the bricks 3.5 inches back from the plasterboard surface.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Too far, they are limited to 50mm.

A bit odd because current BR is 65mm Celotex (for new build, renovation can vary based on many factors re 5% rule, technical, less on walls & more on roof, min U value etc).

You will need to find the studs unfortunately - or fix new horizontal studs through into brick. 3.5 inch is quite an unsupported distance re bending moment.

They do otherwise work ok (over 50mm). Not made by fischer re finish/precision, but work ok (then again fischer screws tend to shear as too hard I've found, might be just me).

Reply to
js.b1

Oops, typo on my part. That should have been 2.5 in. not 3.5 but still too far.

Reply to
Mike Clarke