Electric Clock

It's generally useful to know that there's been a main cut as we used to get one or two a week some time ago. CH timers, video recorders etc. may be put wrong. Plus, WWII-period bakelite mains clocks are getting quite valuable as collector's items so they're a good investment.

john2

Reply to
john2

|> | although I've known it to be used for |> |aviation radio navigation. Most radio controlled clocks use the special |> |purpose transmitter that is soon to be demolished at Rugby, or sometimes |> |they use the similar German facility. |>

|> Do you have a URL for demolition of the transmitter? | |

Radio 4 LW is still transmitted from Rugby, so the situation is more complex than the URL shows.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I don't believe it is (or ever was). Droitwich, maybe.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

I don't wear a watch. There's wall clocks, a clock on my mobile - or I just do what I want when I want.

Still - must go, it's time to collect the littlest from nursery.

Reply to
Guy King

The Rugby Radio Station is a large site which originally had many transmitters from the 16kHz "GBR" station used to talk to the colonies to multiple shortwave analogue radio telephone. It is the 60kHz MSF VLF transmitter that is currently shutting down. The 16kHz VLF has already gone. I don't know what is left, if anything.

However, it does not include the Radio 4 LW service. The nearest transmitter for that is at Droitwich, SW of Birmingham.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, Droitwich - and that's Crown Castle not BT. I suspect BT have/are getting out of the transmitter business.

John Weston

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:55:01 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote (in article ):

Andy Hall

Domestic clocks are also for those of us that don't wear watches.

As far as the original question is concerned I'd simply ignore the socket (perhaps putting a plug in it to neaten it up a bit), or hang a clock in front of it. It might be possible to power the clock from the socket but I wouldn't bother, I'd use a battery-powered radio-controlled clock.

Incidentally does anyone know where to get a battery-powered radio- controlled wall clock featuring a proper mechanical display with hands and the *date*? And for bonus points, the day of the week?

Something like this...

but radio controlled instead of quartz?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:36:48 +0100, David Hansen wrote (in article ):

Different thing. There is a signal sent specifically to switch over Economy 7 (world's greatest sarcasm) meters. It isn't a synchronising or timing application.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:24:53 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote (in article ):

No that's not correct.

Radio 4 on 198kHz is transmitted from a site at Droitwich, south west of Birmingham.

There is a BBC site at Daventry which is reasonably close to Rugby.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
<me9

Until Droitwich opened in about 1936, the long wave transmitter (5XX) was at Daventry.

Reply to
<me9

A lot of youngsters don't bother with watches these days, just use the mobile phone.

Reply to
<me9

Not battery-powered (and certainly not cheap) but Wharton master clocks have mechanical and LED displays.

You *might* be very lucky and get from ebay an impulse-driven slave clock for offices which had a day indicator, and would then have to built an impulse generator. Battery or mains-powered clocks with flapperboard indicators for day/date were quite common in banks, as apart from telling customers what date to put on cheques etc, they were a convenient way of time-stamping security camera film (early security cameras used film and were triggered by under-counter bandit alarms).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mike Barnes typed

Tchibo

if you catch the right week...

...they don't seem to have anything suitable right now thogh.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

No it's not - it comes from Droitwich. And there's no time signal transmitted on R4 LW - but there is on VHF for RDS radios.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is, however, a frequency standard, in that the carrier wave is very precisely 198kHz, not 198.00001 kHz. You could certainly use it to regulate a clock, although it won't tell you the actual time.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Rechargeable battery powered emergency light. Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels