electric cable question

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum depth an electric cable supplying a house should have been laid under ground when my house was built twenty years ago? Is it, for example, quite normal and legal for me to be able to push my hand into my garden while weeding and be able to touch this cable?

Many thanks.

Reply to
bill

There are no actual hard rules on cable depths, but they should be chosen so as to be appropriate for the situation. 450mm is normally taken as a "norm", however you would go deeper in situations where there is a good possibility of the soil above being dug over (i.e. under a garden flower bed), or shallower where there is less risk (i.e. under a path or patio). There ought to be a cable warning tape laid a few inches above the cable as well. That way should you dig toward it you reach the tape first.

What you have does not sound good, as to how normal or legal it is I do not know!

Reply to
John Rumm

That does sound unreasonable though bear in mind that the cable may well have been originally installed to a reasonable depth but over time,the level of ground cover may have been reduced!!

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

If it is your supply cable get in contact with your local supply authority.

Even 20 years ago there was a minimum depth which at the time was 14" if I remember correctly from my jointing days. You may however have to prove that you have not taken any of the top away.

Regards John

dms1.go-plus.net

How does one prove a negative ?

Reply to