Elec mains feed - ever had it rerouted?

Hi, oh helpful and knowledgable ones...

Have you ever had the electricity board in to reroute the mains?

I want to concrete a drive and have dug out the old garden, but the electricity mains feed is in the way, and it'll have to be shifted.

I'll give them a call later, but I was wondering what experiences you lot had.

Cheers,

Mal.

malcolm jackson nottingham ac uk

Reply to
Mal Jackson

Yes

Not the cheapest job, but you'll find that out soon. Different REC's do it differently, your experience will depend on where you are. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

I work about 10 yards from a department that does quotes for service=20 alterations...

Depending on the depth you might get away with split-ducting the original= =20 service cable (so if there`s a fault the old cable can be withdrawn=20 without digging up the new drive), but it may well add a few hundred quid= =20 to the overall cost of the drive i`m afraid.

One thing you might be able to use to your advantage is the guaranteed=20 standards of service where you should be provided with a quote within 5=20 days if its an easy enough job.

More info on the guaranteed standards should be available here, but they=20 hide the feckin` thing on their site for some unknown reason :

relevant text is something along the lines of...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Did a new trench, call em out, and chances are it won't cost that much.

It SHOULD be buried well below dig level tho. If it isn't, you might be able to comlian and get them to do it for nowt..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep - got my overhead wires put underground. A length of about 50M. I dug/filled the trench (to their spec) and put a suitable duct through the wall of the house to take the cable, they did the rest including providing a new armoured cable and replacing the old isolator and earth block. £120 which I think was a bargain. They even left me about

50M of spare cable which did nicely for replacing the wiring to my barn. I am in Glasgow (Scottish Power)

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell

How long ago was this ? - I wonder if scotland use a different charging=20 structure, but its a lot more down here (and its a Scottish Power=20 company)

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

  • old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam *

Colin Wilson

How long ago was this ? - I wonder if scotland use a different charging structure, but its a lot more down here (and its a Scottish Power company)

Reply to
Steve Dawson

Scottish Power don`t own many power co`s south of the border...

It`ll be that one :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Hmm, I didn't think they 'owned' any. It was sold as a 'merger' so Jim could move back home! There was certainly a case of the right person being in the right job at the right time!

Reply to
Wanderer

I just got a quote from EDF Energy (SE England) £1500! to move the meter 1m (admittedly needs ~2m underground ducting and a buried junction box, but Jeez!)

Reply to
Neal Harwood

Hi,

It was 3 years ago now. (doesn't time fly?)

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Campbell

If we are talking about Jim, then it is not Scottish Power, it is Scottish and Southern Energy, a merger of Hydro Electric, Southern Electric and now the Consumer side of SWALEC.

And how glad I am that I no longer work for them.

Regards

Steve Dawson ex RRO Portsmoouth Depot Southern Electric Power Distribution Ltd

Reply to
Steve Dawson

I`d be tempted to ask them for a breakdown of the costs then take them to= =20 energywatch, as this seems a little excessive (and i`m in this game !) -=20 I mention energywatch as the current position is that no-one else is able= =20 to carry out the work* so you are at the behest of a monopoly charging,=20 at first glance, an unfeasibly large amount for a relatively small job.

When you say buried junction box, do you mean a link box (looks like a=20 grid cover about 2 foot square or so) or simply the service joint to your= =20 property ? - if there`s something visible you could maybe take a picture=20 of, that might help us figure out what the situation is.

Are there any other factors to take into account ie. wayleaves involved ?

  • some trials are currently underway to allow non-REC jointers to work on= =20 dead parts of a network they lay, ie on a new site, but the final=20 connection to render that network live must still be made by the REC.