Eaves vent for loft insulation

I recently bought a load of new loft insulation to replace the very poor existing stuff. I realise that in the eaves I need to leave a gap between the top of the insulation and the roof to allow ventilation. Ive been looking for ways to achieve this.....

Screwfix have this product

seems ideal, however I need to check if they actually do a 400mm version, rather than a 600mm as the comment suggests. There are 20 units in that pack which is around the amount I will need. Presumably, in a few of the runs I could block the ventilation to save buying 2 packs (40 units) when i might only need 22?

I cant find a similar product in any of the other usual diy stores so if screwfix only have 600mm version, im not sure what to do...

I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas for solving this problem?

cheers

Reply to
Keith Thomson

correct vent suppresser, you want the roll out one. Unfortunately to fit both types you have to take off the tiles, lath's and the underlay, as the vent fits on top of the rafters. Normally all you have to do is just make sure the insulation is not pushed up to the roof underlay.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Another option is to put air bricks into a gable end if there is one. It is easier to ensure a clear air flow. I have two 9 by 9 inch bricks in one end. That cured the fluffy fungus that had started to grow due to poor ventilation.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I found this pdf which seems to show the installation for the screwfix one - it doesnt appear to need any complicated stuff......

PDF :

going to go up in the loft soon and try and measure exactly how close the roof is to the room ceiling edge. It just seemed that there could be a thin strip of unisulated loft above the ceiling at the window edge.

cheers

Reply to
Keith Thomson

I should have pointed out in the original message that its a mid terrace.

Thanks anyway!

Reply to
Keith Thomson

So is there another term for a terrace in which the houses are stepped such that some have a bit of gable end? (I can see a pair of such house from the nearest window.) :-)

Reply to
Rod

Link detached ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I had to put an airbrick in the gable of a lean to extension to comply with BR. The first winter the ceiling was ruined by snow blowing in. It has been blocked up ever since.

Reply to
<me9

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:23:52 GMT, a certain chimpanzee, randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Then it didn't comply with the requirements in the first place. Walls and roofs should be constructed so as to protect the building from the harmful effects of precipitation.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

That was what the inspector at the time suggested and passed off a little over 20 years ago.

Reply to
<me9

That was before global warming, though :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain