Early incomer question

You don't have to pull the fuse holders out to see that - just opening the hinged door will do. If its been converted then one of the carriers will have a stonking great metal bar in place of the old carrier - just like in the photo I posted a link to earlier:

LHS: Fuse wire carrier. RHS: bridging link to eliminate the second fuse

Reply to
John Rumm

top inquisitive fingers opening it without a tool, running a TT earthed 5 b ed house. Is that satisfactory?

y earth could be used, ie convert TT to TN. The earth connection (which is only used to earth the incomer box) appears to consist of 1-1.5 square mm o f copper twisted round the cable with the cable's earthed sheath not access ible. So it's inadequate for TN use. And of course TNC-S is not an option o n a dual pole fused supply.

fully to replace it. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the fuseholders out to see if it's still DP fused.

then it's still DP fused!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not sure how you could come to that conclusion?

I would expect the fusing current of the bridge part to be well in excess of the PSCC of the supply in most cases.

(you also can't pull out the bridge - its screwed into the base part of the carrier and the carrier itself has been removed)

Reply to
John Rumm

stop inquisitive fingers opening it without a tool, running a TT earthed 5 bed house. Is that satisfactory?

any earth could be used, ie convert TT to TN. The earth connection (which i s only used to earth the incomer box) appears to consist of 1-1.5 square mm of copper twisted round the cable with the cable's earthed sheath not acce ssible. So it's inadequate for TN use. And of course TNC-S is not an option on a dual pole fused supply.

pefully to replace it. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the fuseholders out to se e if it's still DP fused.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah, sorry I think we are talking at crossed purposes. I thought you were suggesting the pic I posted was showing a cutout with DP fusing.

(You missed out the bit which said "I just looked, and...")

In which case, yup get the DNO to change it.

Reply to
John Rumm

to stop inquisitive fingers opening it without a tool, running a TT earthed 5 bed house. Is that satisfactory?

mpany earth could be used, ie convert TT to TN. The earth connection (which is only used to earth the incomer box) appears to consist of 1-1.5 square mm of copper twisted round the cable with the cable's earthed sheath not ac cessible. So it's inadequate for TN use. And of course TNC-S is not an opti on on a dual pole fused supply.

hopefully to replace it. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the fuseholders out to see if it's still DP fused.

The pic of the fuse wire table is from inside

That will happen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What make you think that it is TT?

Reply to
ARW

top inquisitive fingers opening it without a tool, running a TT earthed 5 b ed house. Is that satisfactory?

y earth could be used, ie convert TT to TN. The earth connection (which is only used to earth the incomer box) appears to consist of 1-1.5 square mm o f copper twisted round the cable with the cable's earthed sheath not access ible. So it's inadequate for TN use. And of course TNC-S is not an option o n a dual pole fused supply.

fully to replace it. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the fuseholders out to see if it's still DP fused.

a) there is no earth connection from the incomer b) the earth is connected to the incoming waterpipe

The ISCO incomer is earthed by the incoming cable, but nothing else connect s to that earth. Nor would I want it to, it's grossly undersized & looks pr obably just tied round the cable rather than properly connected.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A TT supply has no earth at all. If the incomer is earthed then it is not a TT supply. Hopefully the supplier will make the earth into a more useable one when they swap the head.

That looks like a steel wrapped lead sheathed incomer. They normally have an earth, just in this case it has not been made off properly.

Reply to
ARW

stop inquisitive fingers opening it without a tool, running a TT earthed 5 bed house. Is that satisfactory?

any earth could be used, ie convert TT to TN. The earth connection (which i s only used to earth the incomer box) appears to consist of 1-1.5 square mm of copper twisted round the cable with the cable's earthed sheath not acce ssible. So it's inadequate for TN use. And of course TNC-S is not an option on a dual pole fused supply.

pefully to replace it. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the fuseholders out to se e if it's still DP fused.

nects to that earth. Nor would I want it to, it's grossly undersized & look s probably just tied round the cable rather than properly connected.

what I meant is the install is TT because the company earth is not usable. I'm sure they'll fix it. Will be of to another dp fused place this weekend.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr