Dryer keeps trippng the main CU

sadly yes.

Disconnect the lot, and put a resistance meter between heating coils and earth., There should be NO detectable resistance there. If there is its definitely new coil time. If there isn't, sadly it doesn't rule them out, because they might short only when hot.

I hate intermittent faults. The Freelander had occasionally failed to start for 18 months, until one day no amount of waiting, thumping the bodywork near the fuel pump etc etc made it do so. Finally, I thought, we can trace this fault..and know we have found it. New fuel pump and off she goes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Leakage can add up, yes.

Or it might be more susceptible under pressure of mains voltage - which is where a megger comes in.

What about the insulation supporting the heater coils, any signs of burnt on carbonised fluff? If they are pot (??) it should be possible to clean them. Not suggesting it would work, but might carburreter (sp?) cleaner not be effective in cleaning this off?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dunno what the coils are like, but all the failures I've had on cookers etc show now visible sings of anything, but did show leakage to earth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bought a new dryer. the doubt was not worth testing. Anyone want a condenser dryer that might only need a £ 40 fix?

Reply to
Vass

I thought this was a DIY group? :-)

I believe the resistance of carbon goes down with temperature so in your case it's even more likely to be a wisp of carbonised fluff and nothing else wrong with the element !!

Reply to
Fredxx

I just cannot understand any form of logic that suggests buying a replacement and scrapping the old one compared to spending £40 on a repair especially when the machine has been opened up already.

Sheer madness!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

cos if its not the heater then I'm £ 40 + new dryer down

Reply to
Vass

But you're now a new dryer down, and you've already determined the cause to be the heater. How much was the new dryer?

Some people have money to burn!

Reply to
Fredxx

Another way of looking at it is that after replacing the elements - it may not be long before another significant repair is needed. Such items are built with a finite life in mind (unfortunately). With some items replacement becomes an inevitability. I regret ever repairing and upgrading my first PC. After spending quite a lot it eventually became clear that I had reached the point where I was flogging a dead horse.

Reply to
John

Indeed. So now with a dead tumble dryer with probably faulty heating element, what can the bits be used for?

Attach a dehumidifier and have a non-heating dehumidifying tumble drier?

Rock tumbling?

Use the motor for a somersaulting scarecrow?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

exactly ! :-)