Drayton TRVs: MAX not high enough

:

ors 6 month ago in summer. I have notice now in winter the radiator is not keeping room warm enough as it is shutting radiator off when set on max. I would say rooms were about 20-22 'C degrees.

ture. If screw the TRV4 to a lower setting the room gets colder. It seems proportional on both radiators. Its just MAX setting seem to low on both valves, any advice would be helpfull.

like TRV head has problem. I am swapping out tomorrow the head from screw fix. I am not confident as it is both radiators doing the same and the are 6 months old.

and the problem is the same.

y. I think because it is chrome the heat is transfering and shuting down t he TRV. I have swapped the head to return side as valve parts are the same and I can get 23'C in the room now, instead of 22'C the return side is cooler slightly as radiator heat is disipated.

ayed white, wondering if these will not transfer heat to the head as much.

plastic) on rest of radiators in house and on max setting my rooms will get far to hot so and I can bring them down to optimum setting, usually 3-4(on a 1-5 valve), this is the control I desire, and as per drayton specs, sho uld get.

n two modern radiators so wanted something fancy. Might swap out in summer on a nice DIY day.

t inside the m30 thread. My only issue here is that I not sure if that va lve will close as TRV head might not have enough stroke to close the valve. I am hoping that nylon will bite in the metal serated grip teeth that sto p TRV head spinning. They should arrive tomorrow so will let you know.

so think i will try a bodge with nylon washer first.

be less, will these fit on the body of a TRV4 valve, any idea.

guess I cannot swear, capillary would look poo

Reply to
frankmalia

If you remove the heads does the pin rise fully from the valve? i.e. so that you can't gently pull it any higher with a pair of pliers.

Probably safe to assume the manufacturer allows for that

Do they have arrows on the body? If so they should point with the flow.

How far open/closed are the lockshield valves?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've no direct experience of TRV4s but Drayton generally have an excellent reputation. Do you know what temperature the CH circuit is running at? I can see the logic of your "conductivity" argument, but I'd be surprised if the design actually permitted it. Can you make up some sort of shield from cardboard or expanded polystyrene which fits over the sensor head but decouples the valve from any airflow around the radiator, so that it definitely senses room temperature? (I once had to re-arrange furniture around a TRV slighlty because it trapped the unit in a "pool" of hot air from the radiator).

Reply to
newshound

e:

te:

ators 6 month ago in summer. I have notice now in winter the radiator is n ot keeping room warm enough as it is shutting radiator off when set on max. I would say rooms were about 20-22 'C degrees.

rature. If screw the TRV4 to a lower setting the room gets colder. It see ms proportional on both radiators. Its just MAX setting seem to low on bot h valves, any advice would be helpfull.

s like TRV head has problem. I am swapping out tomorrow the head from scre w fix. I am not confident as it is both radiators doing the same and the a re 6 months old.

y, and the problem is the same.

rly. I think because it is chrome the heat is transfering and shuting down the TRV. I have swapped the head to return side as valve parts are the sa me and I can get 23'C in the room now, instead of 22'C the return side i s cooler slightly as radiator heat is disipated.

prayed white, wondering if these will not transfer heat to the head as much .

l plastic) on rest of radiators in house and on max setting my rooms will g et far to hot so and I can bring them down to optimum setting, usually 3-4( on a 1-5 valve), this is the control I desire, and as per drayton specs, s hould get.

on two modern radiators so wanted something fancy. Might swap out in summ er on a nice DIY day.

fit inside the m30 thread. My only issue here is that I not sure if that valve will close as TRV head might not have enough stroke to close the valv e. I am hoping that nylon will bite in the metal serated grip teeth that s top TRV head spinning. They should arrive tomorrow so will let you know.

y, so think i will try a bodge with nylon washer first.

ll be less, will these fit on the body of a TRV4 valve, any idea.

Hi,

OK flow and return valves are the same, they are bi direction, arrows in b oth directions, so does not matter if TRV head is on either, they work the same, all be it they will have more heat exposure on flow side. I believe radiator balancing has nothing to do with this issue, as my radiator has fl ow. I have tried limiting flow but does not do anything different apart fr om slower to heat up but same effect of valve shutting down early. Drayton confirmed this.

flow and return pins seem good, all 4 identical in movement.

I realise manufacturers must take raw heat into the design. But Red hot va lve heads cannot be good, my plastic bulldogs do not do this.

I think Drayton have gone for A efficiency rating in being keeping room at just warm temperature as max, not the cosy temp you want when your not wel l or its a freezing day.

Both valves TRV heads have plenty breathing space for air circulation.

My packing washers 27mm OD/20mmID 1.6mm wide have arrived.

x2kidWSSvdX_APeQ

I have fitted them and this has raised the head by about 2mm(1.6mm + depth of serated gripping teeth for anti head rotation). This has basically rais ed my max temperature setting of the TRV head. The TRV head now operates l ike the rest in my house, It is now usable how we want. 2mm is about 2 num bers on the valve positions if you look at the movement of shaft inside whe n you turn the head.

Tried last night on max and had to back valve off 2 division below as it wa s going to hot, it did shut the valve off, but just to hot, I was up to abo ut 25'C. So now I have TRV that in my opinion should be standard setup.

Also due to the Nylon washer there is not as much heat transfer as there is not as much metal on metal valve to head body contact, just the threaded p art.

I think I am happy with solution for now. Going to ring drayton and ask ab out compatibility of RT212 and RT414 heads on my valves, as they are plasti c.

I think the way this valve is, I cannot believe people do not find same iss ue. I do not feel the cold, but I could tell this was not normal.

My solution is the best mickey mouse solution I could find, which would kee p the head solid on the valve and work how it should.

Cheers for your time

Frank

Reply to
frankmalia

Radiant heat is the culprit. That's why some TRVs are horizontal rather than vertical. To get the head further from the radiator and shielded from the radiant heat.

The hottest point on the radiator as where the valve is. Also there is the issue of heat conducted from the valve body to the sensor.

Remote sensor cures all this. Why do you suppose they make them? The conventional/normal ones are cheaper but don't work well. As you are finding out. Especially in larger rooms. Especially with one radiator in a large room.

Reply to
harry

Hi I got onto drayton for some info,

RT212 Plastic Wax sensor head will fit on my valve RT414 Plastic liquid sensor will fit on my valve

They kindly sent me two new chrome which I thought would do nothing different and a RT414 to try out. They said there should be no different.

I have tried the chrome TRV4 valves and they are exactly the same, heat transfering up the chrome and closing valve to early.

The RT414 tried on both radiators works perfectly. So I would all I can think is this is a design flaw in the plastic TRV4 being coated in chrome from head to valve seat the heat is transfered up the outside of the chrome and over heating the head.

The RT414 has plastic seat between head and valve so limited heat transfer and has ventilation slots.

Very strange.

Reply to
frankmalia