Drains and a new toy camera

I make no apologies for the quality - this is the first time I've tried this.

This is a cheap waterproof USB camera tied to a wire-coil type drain clearing wire and poked down a rainwater drain:

The camera was this:

There's a yellow hose down there too - party to keep washing the camera lens and partly to measure flow.

Long and short of it:

The drain pipe seems to be a bit of 68mm black plastic running about 7m until it arrives under the front lawn. That's as far as the hose would go.

The camera went in 4.75m (lead length minus a bit to reach the laptop).

The pipe was clear for those 4.75m but not running free.

The camera is at a slight tilt due to the way I tie wrapped it to the drain clearing wire.

Later on in the vid you can see wash-back from whatever the hose hit (probably a silted up soakaway).

Better than the other 3 downpipes. One was blocked and the other two terminated in a hole 6" under the concrete right by the hose wall. Might have been like that forever - did not look like the pipe had rusted away.

Won't be using those.

Might use the one in the vid - if necessary only. Rought idea where the pipe is under the lawn - owuld need to dig a new soakway.

However, I found an option to connect to the main sewer that looks quite easy. Will see if that is sufficient first.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

As usual, I couldn't work out which bit was the baby's head.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , Tim Watts writes

You might need to consider if you are currently billed for surface water discharge to sewer.

Of course I don't know how they would find out:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do you already pay the water company for surface water drainage?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Monday 15 April 2013 08:46 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Some "interpretation" is necessary...

DIY colonoscopy anyone?

I have a video of a "real" drains CCTV goin up my main sewer. The principle differences are:

1) The real one has better lighting

2) Real one points forward (that could be solved with the cheap one I'm sure)

3) I think the real one has a wide angle lens. Mine is basically a pinhole camera in a brass pod with 4 led chips.

4) My equipment cost 28 quid plus a laptop I had anyway. The real one probably costs 1000's.

It did tell me the pipe was undamaged and generally clear, except for a lump of rust flake or two.

Enough to know it would be worth digging a new soakaway if I have trouble sending 100% of the gutter flow around the back where the sewer connections are available.

It'll see some more use when I check if the brick cavities need topping up with fluff when I do the soffits.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 15 April 2013 08:50 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hiya,

Though of that and yes I am. All of about 25 quid a year. One of the 4 old downpipes went into the sewer. Ironically it represented an isolated 4m length of guttering.

They might notice here - the water co officially owns the shared private sewer since last year so they have a lawful reason to come onto my land :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 15 April 2013 09:04 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes indeed - I checked.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can shove that idea right up your... oh hang one...

Coincidentally I also just bought something like that. Mine was 7m cable with plastic rather than brass lump on the end, and some LEDs. Not tried it in anger yet.

Yup mine looked a bit feeble was well. Although I suppose one could augment it with additional lighting on the end of the stick in some cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does the next video have a pink hose with a purple nozzle on the end in view ? :)

Reply to
Gazz

On Monday 15 April 2013 13:49 Gazz wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm up for it. But you can explain it to SWMBO, whereby I will video you for the "Darwin Awards" website!

Reply to
Tim Watts