DP garage feed switch reminder ..

Hi folks,

You gave me advice re the various options of connecting up my workshop powerwise (I remembered most of it thanks) ;-)

I think for the moment I'll just take a 32A feed from the existing CU via a suitable surface mount dp switch but wondered if that could be a just a plain switch of if would need (ie have to have) any form of fuse / MCB etc?

If not, would some kind soul would drop me a link to something suiable to fit near the CU (via T&E) and then to go on in T&E to the boundry where it will turn into 6 or 10mm (to minimize voltage drop?) SWA via a suitable junction box (mentioned in another recent thread). The SWA's going in a length of plastic drain that's already under the concrete to the workshop).

I must get this done soon ... when it stops raining out there!

All the best ..

T i m

(I was going to use 2 lengths of 2.5mm SWA but you talked me out of it )

Reply to
T i m

On Wed, 05 May 2004 22:44:13 +0100, in uk.d-i-y T i m strung together this:

Just a plain vanilla DP switch will be fine.

A cooker switch will do the job, I'm sure you can find one of those by now! ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

You could install something like this:

the house on a deep surface box and take SWA cable with glands directly from it. The neon option on the switch is good to give indication of the supply status to the garage and the small neon light only costs around 50p a year to run.

As long as you are fitting the supply to a standard circuit breaker (fuse or MCB) in the consumer unit in the house, then any DP switch of 45amp rating will allow you to control the supply to a small outbuilding close to the main house.

If the garage or outhouse is actually attached to the main building, then it should be possible to extend the existing ring circuits through the wall and you can also take a couple of lighting points from it as well.

I would recommend that take a totally separate supply to any out buildings that are more 10 metres away from the main building and have it installed with separate earthing points at the outhouse you're supplying.

Reply to
BigWallop

I like the neon reminder idea. I would probably go for something more basic faceplate wise. I seem to remember the suggestion is to run T&E from the new (near CU) switch to near where the house becomes outside and make the joint to SWA in a suitable box (that will be under the floorboards). For my house that would be around 4m of T&E.

The end of the 'house' is about 7m to the workshop and 10m to the SWA T&E junction (It goes under the lean-to in a drainpipe)

Ok on that .. and a little 'garage' RCD CU etc ..

Cheers fella ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m